Best practices for setting up IVS

puppyfrog

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all, I recently started upgrading an old Q-See system with an Nvr5216-4ks2, and IPC-HDW5231R-ZE and
IPC-HDW4231EM-ASE cameras from @EMPIRETECANDY.

All the basic stuff is done and I'm recording 24/7. I just got around to configuring IVS and I'm a little confused on the best place to do all the configs. I'm mostly trying to set tripwires. Should that be done in the individual camera web UIs or in the NVR's UI?

I've been trying various settings based on searching the forum as well as videos on the web, but my tripwires don't seem to function, so I'm doing something wrong. In "Smart Plan," I have IVS selected. In IVS, I set a tripwire, Record is checked, Period is set to all the time, and filter is set to Max Size (so I'm assuming, I'm not filtering with that setting). In the preview, the tripwires always stay blue and there are no IVS events show on the NVR.

Thanks!

puppyfrog

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok, I think my confusion might be either a setting or a firmware issue. I can't get IVS working on my IPC-HDW5231R-ZE cameras. I have no problem with IVS on the IPC-HDW4231EM-ASE cameras. I think all the settings are the same between the two, but need to check one more time. I've been troubleshooting all night and my eyes are tired.

reneg

n3wb
Reaction score
I just configured this for the first time last week. I started with Smart PSS, but the tripwires didn't seem to trip for me. I switched to the web interface of the NVR (running Internet Explorer) which worked for me. I was probably doing something wrong in Smart PSS. I think you also have to set Storage->schedule to enable IVS recording for each channel.

I'm still trying to figure out how to include snapshots of the tripwire events in email. I'm getting two emails generated per tripwire, instead of three.

puppyfrog

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ugh, what a waste of time. I think when I was hooked to my old Q-See NVR before my new NVR arrived it messed up some settings in the cameras. I reset the new cameras to defaults while hooked to the new NVR and all is working correctly. In case anyone searches for this, it seems some rebranded Dahua equipment might not play well with all the Dahua stuff. If this happens and things aren't working as expected, a reset to defaults might solve the issuse. FYI, @EMPIRETECANDY, in case you have clients with random rebranded Dahua stuff.