Best PTZ Cameras for extreme low light conditions

Reaction score
I am looking for a PTZ camera with at least 60x zoom and at least 2MP resolution. What I want is to use it in moonlight and detect very small objects (2-3 cm) @500m distance. Do you have any suggestions?
What exactly are those objects?

PTZ with 60x zoom:

second have IR to 500m.

Here PTZ with 45x zoom but very good 8Mpx 1/1.2" sensor:

There are also high end thermal PTZ cameras.. they can detect living people/animals up to even 1km (or more) - depending of chosen model and configuration..

All those are very costly solutions.. You should contact You country Dahua reps to get help with choosing proper solution...

Heavyopp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What exactly are these very small objects?
Do they move?
Are they warm blooded?
Do they have eyes that would reflect?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Except we all know rated IR distance is very optimistic. I usually cut rated IR in 1/2 for usable IR

And then there's this
"very small objects (2-3 cm "
Yeah and I usually cut that half by another half or more once you speed up the shutter LOL.

And then 2-3cm size objects at 500meters - forget about it.

low_light

n3wb
Reaction score
What exactly are those objects?

PTZ with 60x zoom:

second have IR to 500m.

Here PTZ with 45x zoom but very good 8Mpx 1/1.2" sensor:

There are also high end thermal PTZ cameras.. they can detect living people/animals up to even 1km (or more) - depending of chosen model and configuration..

All those are very costly solutions.. You should contact You country Dahua reps to get help with choosing proper solution...
Thanks for answer. These are all good but the rated IR distances are 250m which is not good enough I think.

I found these two models what do you think?

Reaction score
Thanks for answer. These are all good but the rated IR distances are 250m which is not good enough I think.

the second one from my post had IR to 500m and 60x optical zoom.

the position system is ok - but please remember they can't rotate fully down.. maximum 45 degree down and 90 degree up.. they are mostly to observe objects which are higher...

Last one from hik are exactly the same spec as the third one from empire shop.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I still don't think it will work well at 500 meters for 3cm pieces of metal.

Hmm let me get a 3cm sliver of metal and try it during the day lol. I bet it would be difficult even under ideal conditions.

What is the use case for this and no ability to get a camera closer?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score

Laser IR is the ONLY way thats going to get close. So you're on the right track.
Of those two, the HiK looks much better as it has the correct sensor size for 8MP. The Dahua is using a 4MP sensor on an 8MP lens

Still dont think you're gonna see 2-3cm things very well