Best settings for a more fluid live view ?

GKL

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When I view a live feed on my phone from my ip camera and move my hand in front of the camera there is about a one second delay before I see the movement and it moves somewhat haltingly.

Here is a screenshot of my camera settings as it was as I had not changed anything it is the default settings I guess, does the resolution and max bitrate seem too high ? Thanks !

camera_settings2.jpg

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
When I view a live feed on my phone from my ip camera and move my hand in front of the camera there is about a one second delay before I see the movement and it moves somewhat haltingly.

Here is a screenshot of my camera settings as it was as I had not changed anything it is the default settings I guess, does the resolution and max bitrate seem too high ? Thanks !

View attachment 23703
post a video...a less than 1 second delay is normal..

GKL

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
post a video...a less than 1 second delay is normal..
Okay so live view it's normal for things to look like they are moving in slow motion. Video clips I have seen show normal like fluid movement but I guess that might be the difference between a live view and a recorded view ?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay so live view it's normal for things to look like they are moving in slow motion. Video clips I have seen show normal like fluid movement but I guess that might be the difference between a live view and a recorded view ?
no not slow motion....delay is different than slow motion

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Depends on the phone and which software you're using. Try switching to viewing the substream and if the sluggishness goes away then your phone and/or software isn't fast enough. Try Tiny Cam for viewing, it's pretty efficient and can wring more performance out of older phones. Also, check to see which decoding option gives you the best framerates in Tiny Cam- software, hardware, or hardware+. It's on the upper left three horizontal lines, then under Settings/Video Settings. Software isn't bad on my phone, hardware the best, and hardware+ the worst.

Reactions: GKL

GKL

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
no not slow motion....delay is different than slow motion
Thanks, okay, understood, also called lag ? And I guess a slight amount of lag is normal ?

Got the camera installed outside today, the much brighter daylight (as opposed to sitting in a not too bright room) seems to have made a little difference, still some lag, but not as bad as indoors. It's like when I wave my hand it takes about 1/2 second to see it start moving in my phone viewer, where in the house it may have been closer to a second of lag.

Depends on the phone and which software you're using. Try switching to viewing the substream and if the sluggishness goes away then your phone and/or software isn't fast enough. Try Tiny Cam for viewing, it's pretty efficient and can wring more performance out of older phones. Also, check to see which decoding option gives you the best framerates in Tiny Cam- software, hardware, or hardware+. It's on the upper left three horizontal lines, then under Settings/Video Settings. Software isn't bad on my phone, hardware the best, and hardware+ the worst.
Thanks, I did already have my viewers on substream, the viewer software I use is iVMS-4500 for windows phones. Now that I have the camera outside the lag time has reduced to about 1/2 second, I guess some lag time is normal ?

GKL

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Some lag is normal, half a sec sounds about right. Even cell phone audio has lag. You'll notice if you ever talk to someone in the same room as you.
Thanks, good to know, you can guess this is my first network ip security camera :lol: