Best settings to reduce grain/noise in sky?

Peter vB

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys, sort of new here (posted before in 2017 when I had my first Dahua cam).

I recently bought the full-color HDBW3449EP-AS-NI and I use it as a weathercam.
Anyone else using his/her full color cam as a weathercam and what settings do you use to reduce the grain/noise in the sky at night?
The image is a 1000 times better than my old cam, but I'm wondering if I could do something with the settings to make it even better?
And does anyone know if this cam can capture images at 1/3 second?
It says so on the datasheet, but I believe the manual says it can only capture up to 1/40 second!?

D437BCA8-F221-497E-9C4E-9182C10E1924.jpeg

Below is the image that I upload to my website every 5 minutes.
The weather data is added with help of my Meteobridge uploadserver.

D0DB4667-D3AD-4B14-9F8D-DF8ECE18588B.jpeg

Last edited:

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't do weather cams so someone else I'm sure will have a better answer. Since you're just grabbing a static image every 5 minutes and aren't concerned with capturing motion in this case, you could set the exposure to a low/longer value, set quality/max bit rate to highest, turn up gain a little if needed, turn up noise reduction some, turn sharpness down a little.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Much better!

Once you get it as clear as you can, might try playing with brightness/contrast/gamma and color settings to try to make it "pop" a little more. That looks pretty good to me as is though as far as that goes.

Last edited: