Best Tie Down Method?

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm sure this has come up before but maybe someone can point me in to right direction. I'm looking for the best way to tie down a small PC, A 4 bay external HD, and a Router to a ventilated rack shelf. I've looked at straps, telecom nylon ties, bungees, and Velcro tape. This is difficult only because I'm sure this is a case where there is no substitute for experience, and in this area I do not have any. Any one have a preference?

These three devices will be arranged vertically side by side on the same std size 19' rack shelf. They need to be secure in order not to be pushed around by the many cables that are connected to them.

PC-Router-HD on the rack shelf.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm sure this has come up before but maybe someone can point me in to right direction. I'm looking for the best way to tie down a small PC, A 4 bay external HD, and a Router to a ventilated rack shelf. I've looked at straps, telecom nylon ties, bungees, and Velcro tape. This is difficult only because I'm sure this is a case where there is no substitute for experience, and in this area I do not have any. Any one have a preference?

These three devices will be arranged vertically side by side on the same std size 19' rack shelf. They need to be secure in order not to be pushed around by the many cables that are connected to them.

View attachment 11493
I would do more to secure the cables than the devices. For securing cables velcro is king. For a device like this if there were feet of any kind that stick out (eg on left side where we can't see), i'd use nylon cable ties. The other option would be to lay them flat and add a second self.

You could strap each of the smaller devices to a metal bookend with some velcro. If the slots on the shelf go the other way, sometimes they'll actually slide into them. In this case you could velcro the tounges to the shelf
UNV54091l.jpg

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would do more to secure the cables than the devices. For securing cables velcro is king. For a device like this if there were feet of any kind that stick out (eg on left side where we can't see), i'd use nylon cable ties. The other option would be to lay them flat and add a second self.

You could strap each of the smaller devices to a metal bookend with some velcro. If the slots on the shelf go the other way, sometimes they'll actually slide into them. In this case you could velcro the tounges to the shelf
View attachment 11537
I don't think the hard drive would be too good laid over, but the PC will and it is more stable with rubber pads. Both the PC and the hard drive are fairly heavy. The router on the other hand is very light. I like the book end idea.

FullSizeRender(2).jpg

The concrete block gave me an idea. Maybe I could cast the equipment in place with wet concrete. What the hell.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think the hard drive would be too good laid over, but the PC will and it is more stable with rubber pads. Both the PC and the hard drive are fairly heavy. The router on the other hand is very light. I like the book end idea.

View attachment 11554

The concrete block gave me an idea. Maybe I could cast the equipment in place with wet concrete. What the hell.
One other option would be to put some big ass bumpons on the router and lay it flat on top of the PC. https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/3m/SJ-5514-(BLACK)/SJ5514-0-ND/102591
However your current configuration is probably better for ventilation. A long strip of velco over the router and through the slots would work fine too

I think @Q2U may be tying down something other than equipment

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
One other option would be to put some big ass bumpons on the router and lay it flat on top of the PC. https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/3m/SJ-5514-(BLACK)/SJ5514-0-ND/102591
However your current configuration is probably better for ventilation. A long strip of velco over the router and through the slots would work fine too

I think @Q2U may be tying down something other than equipment
Well the router will stack laid over on top of the PC, and none of the cooling vents are blocked. The bumper link is good and the bumpers would space the two components with an air layer between them.

I have ordered some straps and Velcro. Ill try it both ways and see how it works best. Thanks for the assist.

FullSizeRender(3).jpg

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The bumpers work great. They put about a 1/2" space between the PC and the router. The vents on the PC are shown between the in the Photo as the short diagonal slots in a row just to the left of the red stripe, well out of the way of the router above. There are also 4 bumpers attached to the bottom of the PC to hold it off the slotted shelf below.

Tie downs are next. Stand by.

IMG_1755.JPGIMG_1794.JPGIMG_1793.JPG

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
And, here my final tie down. Velcro straps and my home made custom made hooks. The hooks were made by bending some nails. See photos attached.

IMG_1801.JPGIMG_1807.JPGFullSizeRender(6).jpg

My Thanks to all who contributed.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I didn't think Michigan got earthquakes :tongue-new: