Best trap for Fox

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
Any of you out there have trap experience on Red Fox? They wiped my grand daughters flock of chickens out last year. I was watching the recorded video feed of today on BI and the damn Red Fox are running my farm in the middle of the day, coming within 75 feet of my house in broad daylight. At night time, they are coming up into my car port between the cars and mowing equipment. I need to catch them so I can shoot them. Relocation isn't really an option and I wouldn't want to burden someone else with the devils. They will wipe all your poultry out in a hurry. I know for a fact I have at least 2 of them and I know where their den is.

rolibr24

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have never trapped fox, I only trap muskrats, mink and coon. Aroun here the guys who trap fox use leg hold traps.

The fox and coyote trappers are getting fewer and farther between. They are now going to calling at night.

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
Wiped out our flock, too, last year. I had zero luck finding the den.
I have watched them from a distance go in and out of it. I have taken the tractor and dumped big piles of rock and dirt over the den entrances (They always have more than 1) They just dig it right back out.

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Any of you out there have trap experience on Red Fox? They wiped my grand daughters flock of chickens out last year. I was watching the recorded video feed of today on BI and the damn Red Fox are running my farm in the middle of the day, coming within 75 feet of my house in broad daylight. At night time, they are coming up into my car port between the cars and mowing equipment. I need to catch them so I can shoot them. Relocation isn't really an option and I wouldn't want to burden someone else with the devils. They will wipe all your poultry out in a hurry. I know for a fact I have at least 2 of them and I know where their den is.
Pour some coyote urine in the den entrance. May have to do it twice.

rolibr24

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've used these for ground hogs. Very effective in the "right" size.

K9 are very intelligent. Unless you find their den and it’s small enough to fit a conibear in front of, and the fox is inside when you set it you may have luck.

Fox and Yotes are smart, sly, wary etc…. Getting them to stick their head in a conibear is going to be very difficult.

If one were to try a fox, it would have to be a 220 size conibear.

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
K9 are very intelligent. Unless you find their den and it’s small enough to fit a conibear in front of, and the fox is inside when you set it you may have luck.

Fox and Yotes are smart, sly, wary etc…. Getting them to stick their head in a conibear is going to be very difficult.

If one were to try a fox, it would have to be a 220 size conibear.
I think the 220's are illegal to use on dry land in TN, unless you can actually get it at least 12" down the hole.

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
(5) For ground sets, a trapper may use cushion-hold traps, laminated jaw traps, offset wide jaw traps, offset laminated jaw traps, and wide jaw traps with an exterior jaw measurement of seven (7) inches or less measured at the hinge point and with a minimum jaw thickness of one-fourth (1/4) of an inch. For ground sets, a trapper may also use double-jaw traps with an exterior jaw measurement of seven (7) inches or less of the upper and lower jaws combined and a minimum jaw thickness of one-fourth (1/4) of an inch.

rolibr24

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think the 220's are illegal to use on dry land in TN, unless you can actually get it at least 12" down the hole.
Can you guys snare?

I’m only familiar with running muskrat, mink and coon trap lines. I’ve never one dry land. But ever since snaring was legalized here a few of the guys I know are going that route. Not sure what type of sets they use though.

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, we can snare in Tenn.

(3) Steel cable snares having a minimum cable diameter of five sixty-fourths (5/64) of an inch and a maximum cable diameter of three thirty-seconds (3/32) of an inch are legal for all legal furbearer species during the legal trapping season. Spring activated snares other than Collarum snares are prohibited.

NightLife

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
She probably has a half dozen kit growing in her right now, and if like ours here, will have that litter within the month. I'd suspect another red fox family will just move in once that territory is up for grabs. Isn't any way to build a fox proof chicken coop instead, is there?

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
She probably has a half dozen kit growing in her right now, and if like ours here, will have that litter within the month. I'd suspect another red fox family will just move in once that territory is up for grabs. Isn't any way to build a fox proof chicken coop instead, is there?
There is, but they like to let their chickens free range during the day. My son-in-law shot one last summer that was on top of the fencing on the top of the coup, trying to get to the chickens. I thought about taking the tractor down to the den and hooking up a big rubber hose to the exhaust stack and attempting to fumigate them out. Have our .22 rifles ready if they do come out of the holes. I have found 3 entrances to the den. It might work, it may not. I may have 2 other dens on the front end of the farm that I know of. I know the groundhogs were living in one of them a couple of years ago. I know you can't really eradicate the coyotes, as what ever the number is you kill off, they will adjust their litter size to compensate for the loss. Foxes may be the same way.

I have caught some Coyotes on camera a few times this year, also. Seems like the wild life population is exploding the past couple of years. We now have around 11 deer that graze consistently all around our house day and night. I have counted as many as 25 of them moving through the creek valley around dusk. Got a few bobcats running the trails in the evening, too. I haven't seen any wild hogs yet, they are 2 or 3 counties east of us up on the Cumberland Plateau. The armadillos have finally arrived, although I have yet to see one on our farm. Seen them dead on the interstate a mile or so away.

NorthBendDave

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Looks like a safe background. Just shoot them? neighbors too close? I had a raccoon problem and had a very busy summer. The alarm system told me when they were in the yard. Got so I hated the buzzer sound at night.

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
Looks like a safe background. Just shoot them? neighbors too close? I had a raccoon problem and had a very busy summer. The alarm system told me when they were in the yard. Got so I hated the buzzer sound at night.
Problem with shooting them is they are skittish as hell. They see a tree limb shake a little bit and they are gone in a split second. Unfortunately, I don't have a gun porthole built into my house and it would be illegal to mount a rifle on the turret of my PTZ cam! I may try some snares here in a couple of weeks. Chances are pretty high I would catch my grand daughters dog in a cage trap or any type of foothold trap.