Best Ubiquity switch for my setup?

taschenmesser

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am planning on the following setup for my Blue Iris/Home LAN camera system, but am not sure which LAN switch to get:

Router: pfsense SG-1100
LAN switch: Ubiquity 8 port switch
(2) UniFi AC AP Pro for LAN WiFi
Blue Iris with 2 NICs
Zyxel GS1008HP 8 port POE+ (for the camera network, currently 4 cameras)

I will be running two UniFi APs on the LAN switch, so POE would be needed on two ports. I would think I would want to go with a UniFi switch, so I could manage the switch and the APs together. I will be using a separate VLAN for the Blue Iris network, although that's probably not necessary with a dual NIC setup.

I am using pfSense for the router as I am familiar with it and want to use OpenVPN for remote access.

I was thinking I would go for a UniFi Switch 8 60W:

Is there any reason I would want to use an EdgeSwitch instead? Honestly, I find all of the Ubiquity choices confusing.

Any help would be much appreciated.

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I went with this one: US-8-150W - I will be connecting some POE+ cameras to it. You are kind of SOL with the smaller switch if you ever want a POE+ device hooked up. btw I also have the smaller switch for some inside devices.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I recommend the US-8-150W as well, avoid the smaller one, I had to go through 4 different units from 4 different retailers before finding one that didn't have failing capacitors

taschenmesser

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I recommend the US-8-150W as well, avoid the smaller one, I had to go through 4 different units from 4 different retailers before finding one that didn't have failing capacitors
Great, thanks for the input. I ordered the 150W version.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Good choice, initial setup is pretty straightforward

Covert One

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Rather than 2 AP AC Pros, you might consider something like the Unifi in wall HD access point in case you haven't seen it and depending on your circumstances/needs. It comes in 2 versions (2 or 4 port switch incorporated). This is the 4 port version...

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

taschenmesser

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Rather than 2 AP AC Pros, you might consider something like the Unifi in wall HD access point in case you haven't seen it and depending on your circumstances/needs. It comes in 2 versions (2 or 4 port switch incorporated). This is the 4 port version...

Interesting, haven't seen this before. The comments on that seem to indicate it doesn't support multiple VLANs via WiFi, which is one thing I like about the AC AP Pro. I want to have a separate WiFi VLAN for the IoT devices in the house.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Wow, good to know. Are those a Ubiquity part specifically for that purpose, or something else?
I used 4 of the Noctua NF-A4x20 PWM fans which I ordered from Amazon. They come with low noise adapters to adjust the speed. Just used an old 5vdc power brick to power them and stuck them to the side with double faced tape. Nothing done inside the switch. The temp went from 80c down to 45c.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Mine doesn't get too hot, perhaps because it is not being stored in a network rack

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Mine are a couple of years old, maybe they corrected the issue. It is nice that it monitors the temp.

taschenmesser

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm planning on mounting mine in a network rack, underneath a couple of 24-port patch panels and above a Zyxel switch. I will have to check the temperature and see how hot it gets. I have some extra room in the rack though, I could give it more space if needed.

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The venting is side to side so I don’t think more room will matter.
You do realize this will need different ears to fit in a regular rack.

Last edited:

taschenmesser

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The venting is side to side so I don’t think more room will matter.
You do realize this will need different ears to fit in a regular rack.
Well, I could always keep it outside the rack, just mount it vertically onto the plywood on the wall. Then see how the temperature fares.

I would prefer to have everything in the rack for aesthetic purposes though. I decided to build a separate bench to house the computer and UPS though, so the rack will have probably at least 6U of empty space. I suppose I could put the UniFi switch on a shelf in the rack with plenty of space around it and add the fans.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
How hot is hot? I didn't see a temp specified. Asking for a friend :)