"Best" Video Doorbell Cams

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't have a need/desire for a doorbell cam but saw this article and thought I'd post it. I thought it interesting that Eulo has an integrated "package cam". Not ideal but at least they tried and better than nothing.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, even though it seems to be one of the most in-depth review articles I've seen lately, it lost a lot of credibility with me when it declared "...The Ring Video Doorbell (2nd generation) is the best video doorbell you can get for under $100" and "....The Ring Video Doorbell Pro 2 the best wired-only video doorbell"

They all suit the app-dependent, QR code scanning / P2P crowd work with Alexa, Google Home, IFTTT, etc. Do you think the author even knows what RTSP or RTMP is? Let alone POE?

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
For me, I think the only aspect of a doorbell cam that I might desire is 2 way communication. I have an intercom doorbell that I never really used. The security cams around my house let me know in advance if I want to speak to the person. If so I open the door. But usually the only thing I might want to say to the strangers is "go away". :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, even though it seems to be one of the most in-depth review articles I've seen lately, it lost a lot of credibility with me when it declared "...The Ring Video Doorbell (2nd generation) is the best video doorbell you can get for under $100" and "....The Ring Video Doorbell Pro 2 the best wired-only video doorbell"

They all suit the app-dependent, QR code scanning / P2P crowd work with Alexa, Google Home, IFTTT, etc. Do you think the author even knows what RTSP or RTMP is? Let alone POE?
The way I look at it is those wireless ones are better than nothing and it's easy for the novice to have better than nothing so I can understand the popularity of them.

And most reviews similar to this one seem to be money driven click for referral income type reviews. So I'm skeptical.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For me, I think the only aspect of a doorbell cam that I might desire is 2 way communication. I have an intercom doorbell that I never really used. The security cams around my house let me know in advance if I want to speak to the person. If so I open the door. But usually the only thing I might want to say to the strangers is "go away". :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Yeah, that was my big draw to these Doorbell Cams, the 2-way communication, but what I found is hardly nobody rings the doorbell anymore and those delivery drivers who do they run off before you can talk to them. With cell phones, if it is someone we know is at our door with no answer they will call you anyway. For the price, under $100 and the ease of install (using existing doorbell transformer power), plus they are somewhat of a deterrent for some breakins, I think they serve a purpose...

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm 500 miles away from the house and last night I got a million push notifications from my BI system. Neighbors were Christmas caroling and I noticed they pushed the dome of my security cam thinking it was a doorbell button. It was dark so they didn't see the index card covering the doorbell button that says don't knock or ring just leave a note. We both work from home so we can't be having people knock or ring which sets the dog off. :rofl:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm 500 miles away from the house and last night I got a million push notifications from my BI system. Neighbors were Christmas caroling and I noticed they pushed the dome of my security cam thinking it was a doorbell button. It was dark so they didn't see the index card covering the doorbell button that says don't knock or ring just leave a note. We both work from home so we can't be having people knock or ring which sets the dog off. :rofl:
Those Carolers spreading Joy, how dare them, lol Well one thing with these Doorbells is their ringer usually cannot be turned off.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
We both work from home so we can't be having people knock or ring which sets the dog off. :rofl:
Speaking of notification systems, our 5 ankle-biters lets us know before a delivery driver steps onto the ground or a walk up person gets within 25 feet of the either door.
We call it the "K9 Alert System" (the Chihuahua model).

Kinda hard to shut it off once it is activated, though....:headbang:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Speaking of notification systems, our 5 ankle-biters lets us know before a delivery driver steps onto the ground or a walk up person gets within 25 feet of the either door.
We call it the "K9 Alert System" (the Chihuahua model).

Kinda hard to shut it off once it is activated, though....:headbang:
I hear ya, we have a crotch biter, haha, a Boxer...she hears everything...

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just set mine to this to start the conversation, the winded long talkers will tell me why they are at our front door, lol

1703338205002.png

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a nest doorbell, just for the simple fact of 1 more camera watching my front door, and the ability to speak to anyone at the front door.
I have it isolated, IoT, from main internet so :shrugs: Serves its purpose.

I've used it more for FedEx than anything else. The driver of the overnight truck has been here enough to know I'll answer via the doorbell if he needs me.
If it's a high priced item, etc.. He'll ask me if it's ok to leave it on the porch, or drop it off at the nearest FedEx pickup location.