Best VPN to use? Asus appear to have added many more to their routers vi firmware

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I made a request a while a go for better VPN support in Asus routers and low and behold, I find in mine, a whole host of options I'm sure wasn't there before.

I'm sure before there was only Open VPN. The choices now are PPTP, OpenVPN, IPSEC VPN, Wireguard VPN:

Router VPN Options.png

Which is best?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I use Wireguard and/or OpenVPN depending on the installation. I don't think it really matters which you go with using the built-in VPN of your router. If you were "rolling your own" in a Linux machine then the choice would be for Wireguard all day long.

The other choices aren't really applicable and are more for site-to-site VPN tying routers together.

Last edited:

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks. Wireguard it is then. Had a look by turning it to on (not had a chance to buy the BI App yet), and it has by far the easiest and most intuitive interface. Router version is probably cut down, but the control are simple and even in advanced, all the extra is pretty much it offers you a pre-generated key for both home and away, the chance to renew and change it, and offers a pre-generated ip address. Looks like it couldn't be simpler.

Cold-Lemonade

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@CCTVCam Which Asus router are you using? I have Netgear r7000 that I installed ddwrt on and have been using Wireguard. Wireguard is excellent. It allows me to connect my laptop and iphone to my home network when I am away. That's how I look at my cameras and access Home Assistant.

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Switched from OpenVPN to Wireguard - easier to implement & faster.

duplo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Most annoying thing with wireguard:

it cannot handle dynamic ips on server side

so if your provider disconnects you every 24h, you need to disable and enable connection on client side any 24h.

all advantages of wireguard (like just let it connectet, only uses data when tunnel is triggered) are gone.

if you dont have public ipv4, then openvpn is complicated.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Most annoying thing with wireguard:

it cannot handle dynamic ips on server side

so if your provider disconnects you every 24h, you need to disable and enable connection on client side any 24h.

all advantages of wireguard (like just let it connectet, only uses data when tunnel is triggered) are gone.

if you dont have public ipv4, then openvpn is complicated.
Even when connecting to your tunnel/server with a DNS name? I have my clients setup to connect to my WireGuard server via the server host name that is resolvable and I haven’t noticed this. I’ll have to test. I don’t leave my WireGuard enabled all the time on my phone so maybe it’s happening and I don’t know.