Best way to capture video at the corner of a building

danletkeman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What is the best way to capture video on multiple sides of a building? In the past I have installed 3 cameras at the corner of a building with either 2.8mm or 3.6mm lenses and captured all 270 degrees worth of area surrounding the corner of the building by placing the cameras with one on one side and two back to back on the other side which allows for total coverage.

Is there a better way such as placing the camera mid way along the side of the building facing the corner instead?

Assuming there are no requirements for detection in any particular area, what does everyone else prefer when having to cover and are at and around a building corner?

kjinxx2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi there -

There's no real scientific answer to this - there are tons of variables that could change camera placement so each scenario could theoretically be the 'best' for each different application.

If you had a rectangular building you could get full coverage with 2 cameras on each corner. But if you have LOS issues because of trees you may need to use cameras midway up the walls. Are you looking for a solution to your specific situation? If you could post a picture of your layout that would be helpful!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What is the best way to capture video on multiple sides of a building? In the past I have installed 3 cameras at the corner of a building with either 2.8mm or 3.6mm lenses and captured all 270 degrees worth of area surrounding the corner of the building by placing the cameras with one on one side and two back to back on the other side which allows for total coverage.

Is there a better way such as placing the camera mid way along the side of the building facing the corner instead?

Assuming there are no requirements for detection in any particular area, what does everyone else prefer when having to cover and are at and around a building corner?
HI @danletkeman

DORI principles apply ..

There are now good multiple lens cameras which have a 180 degree coverage .. those can be useful in some setups .. they may cost more per camera than 2 cameras .. so do double check the math ..