Best way to do internal LAN monitors?

Spektyr

n3wb
Reaction score
I've had Blue Iris running at my house for about a month and I'm really pleased with it so far. The one thing I don't like is there doesn't seem to be an easy way to view the cameras in multiple locations around the house all the time.

The web interface works, if you only want the camera views to display for a short time after you log in. I went looking for how to change the duration of the login for a web session and if memory serves it was not simple/practical.

I have this idea, probably a bit silly:

I have more than a few old Android/Windows tablets laying around. Several RPi's as well. I'd like to set them up in various rooms around the house to show the exterior cameras, sort of like windows but with a more universal view. (We only really have good windows on the back side of the house.) The cameras are normal IP cameras, so I can use a free Android app to tap into 1-2 feeds directly but I want to retain the BI interface between the three ecosystems (Android, Windows, RPi/Linux). I also don't want to be logged into the full console with all of it's authority/power on every screen.

When I search for solutions all I see is discussion about how to access Blue Iris remotely remotely. (When you're not on the same network.) I don't care about that as much, I have a VPN at the house I can connect to from wherever and check the cameras. I want an always-on (or always connected, wake-able) screen showing the various cameras around the house. They'll be using WiFi (so some possible trouble with bandwidth there if I go nuts) or Ethernet (RPi's), but they're all on the same LAN internally as the BI.

I'm happy to do my own research and learning, I just can't figure out what search keywords get me pointed to the right stuff. Everything I find is a tutorial on port forwarding or VPN, which isn't what I need.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Changing the duration of the web UI is simple. Click the three "dots" at the top right after you login to the WebUI, then click UI Settings, then put a zero where it says "The UI will close itself after this many minutes...".

I set all of mine to 0 and have them running all day.

Just connect all your internal iPads/Android tablets to the BI web interface.