best way to get important notifications

Raylo32

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I am really liking the Dahua AI human detection enough that I want to make it the primary alert. I have the SMTP set up and that works fine, but I have my iPhone on do not disturb at night. The iPhone allows one to whitelist callers to let VIP calls bypass the do not disturb but unfortunately there is no similar setting for alerts for VIP e-mail senders. I can make a custom alert sound, of course, but to receive it I'd have to turn off the do not disturb and be subject to any and all text and e-mail notifications. What are you guys doing?

Raylo32

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The Dahua doesn't have SMS... but it wouldn't matter anyway since the iPhone SMS alerts are handled the same as e-mail. You can pick a custom tone but you can't whitelist specific senders in the do not disturb setup.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
You didn’t read the link. The alerts are sent as email as far as the camera is concerned but converted to SMS at your provider. I don’t know what the incoming SMS alert looks like though. If it still shows up as a return email address in the SMS then I guess it wouldn’t matter.

Raylo32

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
And it still doesn't matter because SMS alerts can't be white listed.

Raylo32

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey, that looks like that might be the answer. Apple has a back asswards way of getting that enabled... at least for my brain. A simple setting in DnD like enable VIP alerts must have been too easy.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I still don't know what the return address (email or actual phone number) of an email -> SMS looks like. I haven't done it for a while. I was playing around with it on my 5442 IVS alerts a year or so ago. Worked fine but may still not work if it isn't a phone number for you to whitelist. Worth a try anyway.

Raylo32

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It'd be a lot easier if Dahua would add an SMS server. Or if Apple allowed an emergency bypass for e-mail alerts from VIP contacts. I am still looking to see if that might be possible somehow.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Do you use BI? There is probably a way to get alerts from that even when your phone is in DND.

Raylo32

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, I have BI and have SMS alerts. But BI has too many falses to let through the DnD.

Do you use BI? There is probably a way to get alerts from that even when your phone is in DND.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, I have BI and have SMS alerts. But BI has too many falses to let through the DnD.
So what you could do then is setup BI to receive your IVS alerts from your camera and then have BI send you those alerts. So your camera is doing the actual AI and BI is only responsible for sending the IVS alerts through.

Your camera does all the work here except for the actual notifications. So long as you are happy with how your camera IVS AI works, then that is a possible solution.

Raylo32

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Cool... I didn't know BI could do that. I'll set that up next chance I get.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How to use the AI in the camera instead of Blue Iris motion detection:

Go to Smart Plan and select IVS and hit save.

Then go to IVS and add an IVS rule. Use Intrusion and select the appears and crosses boxes. Draw a box/outline around the area you want it to trigger for, but try not to do the full frame to give the camera time to recognize the object. Then check the box for human and/or vehicle. There is no sensitivity settings in this setup.

Leave min size to 0,0 and do not do any other changes and hit save.

Make sure both motion detection and Smart Motion Detection are not checked in the camera.

Then in BI you need to set it up in two places. In the motion tab, select the camera's digital input or motion alarm.

Uncheck the BI Motion Sensor.

Then go back to the setup screen where you key in the camera IP address and user and password and down in the lower left (or up a little depending on the version you are running), will be the checkbox for pull ONVIF triggers.

I ran a clone camera for awhile using BI motion to compare it to the ONVIF triggers to confirm I wasn't missing anything. Now for those cams I just use ONVIF triggers.

Having the camera do motion detection instead of BI does free up CPU as motion detection is one of the larger CPU drains.

This will eliminate your false triggers.

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
One other hint for the "intrusion box", don't use the full frame. Leave some space for the object to enter and exit your intrusion box.

seez52

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I had email notifications set up a while back using a gmail address. It quit working and I've never tried to reactivate it. What is everyone using for an email server on their cams?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I had email notifications set up a while back using a gmail address. It quit working and I've never tried to reactivate it. What is everyone using for an email server on their cams?
Who do you use for email now? That is the server you can use.

seez52

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Who do you use for email now? That is the server you can use.
I was using a separate account at gmail. I just now switched over to an old yahoo account and it seems to be working. Crossing my fingers it continues.