Best way to join 2 Cat6 cables

grendel54

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Trying to find out what the best way (least amount of loss without running one long cable) is combining two Cat6 cables. So far my choices seem to be...

1. Put a connector on both ends and use a coupler.

2. Put a connector on one end and a module connector on the other () like this one.

3. Use a butt connector (butt connectors)like this one

Any other options are welcome.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How well does this fit in a standard outdoor junction box?
If you look at the video demo, you can tell it's pretty small.
Do NOT use option #3.
Of course, the best solution is to pull one continuous cable up to the max length of 328ft avoiding splices especially if POE is involved.

grendel54

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you look at the video demo, you can tell it's pretty small.
Do NOT use option #3.
Of course, the best solution is to pull one continuous cable up to the max length of 328ft avoiding splices especially if POE is involved.
What is the issue with option 3?
ive used option 3 in the past when converting to and outside rated cable going from indoors to outdoors.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Option three introduces crosstalk and impedance mismatches. To be honest, they all do, but butt connectors will end up adding more because you need to untwist more wire length to work with them. They were designed for use on voice networks, not 10BaseT networks. The best solution is a continuous pull. Two RJ45 males and a coupler are probably the easiest to do.

Last edited:

grendel54

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Option three introduces crosstalk and impedance mismatches. To be honest, they all do, but butt connectors will end up adding more because you need to untwist more wire length to work with them. They weredesigned for use on voice networks, not 10BaseT networks. The best solution is a continuous pull. Two RJ45 males and a coupler are probably the easiest to do.
So by the rational that you untwist more with butt connectors that would lead me to blieve that a coupler would be best for line integreity. I use pass through connectors which minimize the amount of twists taken out. The question is how well does a coupler work.

i agree the coupler is the easiest.

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
So by the rational that you untwist more with butt connectors that would lead me to blieve that a coupler would be best for line integreity. I use pass through connectors which minimize the amount of twists taken out. The question is how well does a coupler work.

i agree the coupler is the easiest.
if you dont want to run 10gbe over the cable you can just use gel filled scotchloks.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
In wires and pipes, the fewer joints or connections the more reliable. I have always heard that the twists in ethernet are like some kind of magic, and should be untwisted as little as possible to prevent crosstalk and interference. I suspect @user8963 has some experience with ethernet that I do not, he may well be correct about the scothloks. Otherwise, I would not use the coupler, as it has four connections, the other options have but two. Anyway you go, as long as you can get to the connection point, it wont be a lot of work to redo it with a different connector, if needed.

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
In wires and pipes, the fewer joints or connections the more reliable. I have always heard that the twists in ethernet are like some kind of magic, and should be untwisted as little as possible to prevent crosstalk and interference. I suspect @user8963 has some experience with ethernet that I do not, he may well be correct about the scothloks. Otherwise, I would not use the coupler, as it has four connections, the other options have but two. Anyway you go, as long as you can get to the connection point, it wont be a lot of work to redo it with a different connector, if needed.
Last month i found a few of these connections... no problem since they were installed about 6 years ago... gigabit network full speed, never any problem

and this was a paid job by a electrician for around 80€ / hour
seems that he run out of these screw (?) terminals after the first LOL

connection.jpg

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
and the building is from 1991 , so they only used unshielded cat5 (the one without the E) cable which was the only one available back then... no standards and look how thin the wires are... they run some (or all of the third floor) over 100m, direct bundled with MANY power cables, still everywhere gigabit available... no problems.

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah i have to post a picture of the network rack maybe tomorrow .. not sure how this even works.

here in europe everyone is a network guy, so its quite common to see something like this.
for me all is somehow only in theory, never saw something like this which had problems.

when i was in india its even more crazy.. they run cable through their septic ditches (not sure if this is the right word for this) and they always fail someday.. then the telephone company sends someone who goes in there and repairs it..

looks like this:
IndiaPollution.png

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
when i was in india its even more crazy.. they run cable through their septic ditches (not sure if this is the right word for this) and they always fail someday.. then the telephone company sends someone who goes in there and repairs it..
Yeah, I've seen some of their overhead AC wiring...what a rat's nest!

Regarding the telephone tech responding to the sewer "duct", I can hear it now): "Not my job, man" or "You don't pay me enough" or "You need a plumber, not a tech!"
:poop::poop::poop::highfive: