Best way to mount camera on angled front porch soffit?

sofakng

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm still considering the best location for a side yard camera but I like the idea of mounting on the front porch soffit:

IMG_2547.jpeg

The camera is a Dahua SD1A203T-GN (from Andy) but I'm not sure what or how to mount the camera. I need something to lower the camera below the soffit so it can watch the outside yard.

Thanks for any help!

holiday

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
not sure how thick or skinny are the pillars.. u can use dahua corner mount pfa 151 and mount on the pillar if it is big enough

Ok it's the smallish ptz.. so ignore my comment above.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm still considering the best location for a side yard camera but I like the idea of mounting on the front porch soffit:

View attachment 87396

The camera is a Dahua SD1A203T-GN (from Andy) but I'm not sure what or how to mount the camera. I need something to lower the camera below the soffit so it can watch the outside yard.

Thanks for any help!
If the red box is where you intend to mount the mini PTZ camera it won't be ideal as its slanted toward the house. Installing the camera across on the flat soffit area would be a lot better. They make a pole / dish cover that would allow you to extend and drop the same camera from its installed position.

Given, its under the soffit its going to look really ugly going that route! :embarrassed:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Depending on the actual diameter of the base, how big a hole you're willing to make in the soffit and how skilled you are, a piece of large diameter PVC pipe could be used. Probably need a 6" diameter pipe. It'll still look a little obnoxious though.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I think you should mount the camera back on the flat soffit by the house and use the junction box to drop your view slightly to compensate for the drop roof. looks like your primarily going to be looking downward. so that would reduce the Infrared bounce back into the camera.D4F0F012-1BF0-44CE-9F46-39DE196845D4.jpeg
It will also be less conspicuous.

Last edited:

sofakng

n3wb
Reaction score
I think you should mount the camera back on the flat soffit by the house and use the junction box to drop your view slightly to compensate for the drop roof. looks like your primarily going to be looking downward. so that would reduce the Infrared bounce back into the camera.View attachment 87462
It will also be less conspicuous.
This idea might be the winner!

This should be the easiest to mount, but the only issue is the pole in the middle of the railing obstructing the view of the camera towards the yard.

I'll have to test how the zoom works if I can get a view between the two poles into the yard or not. Thanks so much for the suggestions!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Always TEST all proposed locations using a temporary mount prior to permanent mountings. Test rig: 8'x2x4, 5 gal bucket, and rocks for ballast. Test for a minimum of 24 hrs.
If you aren't careful, you will get IR reflected back into the dome of the cam and cause issue's at night from the slopped part of the soffit.
You want a PTZ to be mounted on a level horizontal surface, or it won't track correctly when you pan the lens.
That also looks to be too high. Don't mount cams over 7-8' for best chance of face ID's.
I would get some thin aluminum stock, and fashion a bracket so that you can mount the cam on or near the bottom of the gutter.
You are almost always better off with more fixed cameras, over a PTZ. The ptz has a high likelihood of looking in the wrong direction when something happens.
Also, keep in mind the IR on that cam isn't very strong, so you will probably want additional white light or a separate IR illuminator to light up the yard.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
what are you watching on that side of the house? the kids outside playing or something? hard to tell what your trying to do.
is this your only camera? if so, i'd take looneys advice on a camera at a lower height for your front porch or packages.

gansle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

View attachment 87396

Thanks for any help!
2C4BC4DF-9426-4C4F-ACC3-819E70C8FB12.jpeg5ADD5195-1C14-4DE6-9622-9AEA0334F56A.jpeg

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I like building custom brackets, but I would try either a flat piece of metal to secure to the fascia and
down enough to mount the camera. Or maybe a piece of metal bent at a 90 to secure to the fascia,
and the other side of the 90 to the camera. You could trace the camera and trim the extra.

_
| |
| |
U
Shaped like this, if you can use your imagination. Mount the camera to the U shaped end,
and the straight end to the front of the fascia. Make the dimensions to fit your needs.

I can see the hardest part will be attaching it under the rain gutter.

Otherwise, could you move it over the the flat wall just beside the porch?