Best way to power 3 POE cameras?

talisman2208

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I learned from my last thread I am not supplying enough power to my three cameras so here I am again... Thanks to all who helped in my last post.

I have three cameras I need powered. a Sumba Illuminati, and 2x Reolink Duo 2's.

I have my Eth cable from the router ran, and at the same place as the other eth cables for the other camera, just need to know what hardware to get to power all these cameras.

The Sunba Illuminati alone states I believe 60W.

Please keep in mind these connections are all going to be made outdoor, so I'll need outdoor versions of whatever I'm getting.

They are all near an electrical receptacle so power won't be an issue.

Thanks in advance!

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Assuming all are POE cams, then you'd want a POE++ switch (need the ++ to provide up to 60 watts). No need for one made for outdoors, you'd put the switch near the router where you have the ethernet cables terminating now and plug the cams into it instead. It will provide both power and data connectivity for the cams over the same ethernet cable. The LAN port of the router usually also will be plugged into the same switch.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The problem is he's trying to run three cameras off of a single CAT cable and one camera is a PoE+, the Sunba PTZ. As I said in the other thread, run a separate cable, at least one more, for the Sunba by itself. Running splitters just isn't going to work out in the long run if at all.

Alternately, if you have power near each camera simply get a 12VDC power brick for each camera and put them in a weatherproof box.

I won't even get into the Sunba and Reolink problems.

Last edited:

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Ahhh... He said 'at the same place as the other eth cables' so I was assuming cables for all at the router now. Yeah, that's going to be a problem.

I guess you could put a POE++ switch in an enclosure wherever those cables are but don't know how practical that is. Or as you say just plug them in if there's power nearby. Better in the long run (no pun intended) to just run more cables if possible.

talisman2208

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The problem is he's trying to run three cameras off of a single CAT cable and one camera is a PoE+, the Sunba PTZ. As I said in the other thread, run a separate cable, at least one more, for the Sunba by itself. Running splitters just isn't going to work out in the long run if at all.

Alternately, if you have power near each camera simply get a 12VDC power brick for each camera and put them in a weatherproof box.

I won't even get into the Sunba and Reolink problems.

This is the best option, I definitely understand that. It's an absolute bitch to run an entire additional cable from my router to where the camera is, so I'm trying to avoid that.

What about just a standard outdoor switch, and then from there - get three PoE+ injectors for the individual cameras, Messy - but would that work?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, that would work. Maybe a little cleaner to use a POE switch and just power the other cams from that. Keep the one separate. Not much more money and saves having to deal with power otherwise to those. Probably will spend about the difference in cost on injectors and messing around with it.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is the best option, I definitely understand that. It's an absolute bitch to run an entire additional cable from my router to where the camera is, so I'm trying to avoid that.

What about just a standard outdoor switch, and then from there - get three PoE+ injectors for the individual cameras, Messy - but would that work?
Hi @talisman2208

One possible option is using an outdoor rated enclosure and putting a small PoE+ / PoE++ rated switch there .. and then branch off from that to your cameras .. I also prefer junction boxes outdoors for cameras to keep the connections protected from the weather ..

of course, heat could be an issue ..

FYI - for those who have not yet run cables .. this is why I prefer to the N+1+ rule when running cables .. there seems to always be just one more run that I need ..

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Obviously you do not have power at te camera locations. If it's "too hard" to run an extra cable for the camera with the most power required, you may end up working harder to rig it than installing anoyher quality cable.

Your answer is a post or two above,

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
FYI - for those who have not yet run cables .. this is why I prefer to the N+1+ rule when running cables .. there seems to always be just one more run that I need ..
Same. Wish that I'd run one more to pretty much every location at this point. Even where I ran two or three to begin with in some cases.

brad2388

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You have this. But youll need a converter for eqch camera to 48 volts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

talisman2208

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi @talisman2208

One possible option is using an outdoor rated enclosure and putting a small PoE+ / PoE++ rated switch there .. and then branch off from that to your cameras .. I also prefer junction boxes outdoors for cameras to keep the connections protected from the weather ..

of course, heat could be an issue ..

Do you have any recommendation for a heavy hitter POE++ rated switch? I can do the enclosure no problem. I need 60W minimum it seems per camera.

talisman2208

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

This is the only thing I could find that I think would do the job. Could anyone confirm?

One cable from the router to this - then 3 down to each of my cameras.

I don't think the two reo links are POE++ so the should do find on the other POE+ lines.

Thanks for all your help lads.
We have used severa of thes with good results.

1660563837593.png1660563837593.png

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
We needed a few more robust boxes for our poe switches and found some very nice enclosures that eorked great for our application... 20220420_141516.jpg20220420_142353.jpg20220420_141516.jpg20220420_115049.jpgPOE Box_2.jpg

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Where we got em

We're using PtMP radios to each light pole with just 1 AP and 5 stations. 3 ANPR cameras that the specs say use <20w each and a few bullets. The electrician provided a step down xformer to supply us with 120vac, as lights in a parking lot are high voltage.

But like I said on the Cqunpr high output outside poe switches, we have been satisfied so far. You need power at the location, and that seems to be your issue.

Last edited: