Best Wireless LPR camera's

Gary R.

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Looking for recommendations on the best wireless LPR camera. Got a light pole with a power plug, looking to point it at cars. Also, is there a way to decrease the license plate light, so it can read better, or is that built into a LPR camera. Running latest of Blue Iris with 12 cameras. Mix of them. Hikvision, Foscam, etc. Thanks.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Reading plates is all about focal length, shutter speed, and angle of camera to plate.

Nothing special about the camera itself other than the ability to set parameters and the camera adhere to it.

You don't want a wifi cam for it though. Get a real camera and then use something like a nanostation to RF it back into your system. Using home wifi is problematic for 24/7 camera streaming as these do not buffer like Netflix and such.

Keep in mind that this is a camera dedicated to plates and not an overview camera also. It is as much an art as it is a science. You will need two cameras. For LPR we need to OPTICALLY zoom in tight to make the plate as large as possible. For most of us, all you see is the not much more than a vehicle in the entire frame. Now maybe in the right location during the day it might be able to see some other things, but not at night.

At night, we have to run a very fast shutter speed (1/2,000) and in B/W with IR and the image will be black. All you will see are head/tail lights and the plate. Some people can get away with color if they have enough street lights, but most of us cannot. Here is a representative sample of plates I get at night of vehicles traveling about 45MPH at 175 feet from my 2MP 5241-Z12E camera (that is all that is needed for plates):

1675078711764.png

See the LPR subforum for more details.

Gary R.

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
At the moment, Wi-Fi is all I got, unless I change my camera to another location, which I have. I see that camera has 5 to 60 focal length. Yeah, that would work. Does the degree of angle make a big difference? I guess I could buy that camera and put it where I have POE. Otherwise, I have to dig up the lawn and run Ethernet out to the mail box. Thanks for the heads up.

When I did a Amazon search, it also showed a Loryta Camera Z12E S2 V that looks like the Dahua. Is that a clone I could use? Thanks.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Gary R.

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have another corner of the house, but a street light is there. Would that work If i put the above camera and put it into night mode maybe?

Reaction score
When I did a Amazon search, it also showed a Loryta Camera Z12E S2 V that looks like the Dahua. Is that a clone I could use? Thanks.
That is the exact Dahua cam, just rebranded as Loryta, which is the brand that Andy here sells. I have bought all of my cams from him.

Reaction score
I have another corner of the house, but a street light is there. Would that work If i put the above camera and put it into night mode maybe?
Yes. At night you will be setting up like @wittaj mentioned above. B&W w/IR. But any visible light will help you out.

See these LPR threads.

Gary R.

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That is the exact Dahua cam, just rebranded as Loryta, which is the brand that Andy here sells. I have bought all of my cams from him.
How do I find Andy. Much rather buy from someone here than Amazon.

Gary R.

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Angle does matter - this guy came here wanting to know why he couldn't read the plate LOL - but the angle was the least of the issues LOL

View attachment 173201
Well, when the car makes the turn the camera, tha backside of the car is easily going one way, and the front side is pretty straight on the other way.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well, when the turn the camera, tha backside of the car is easily going one way, and the front side is pretty straight on the other way.
Yeah but the shutter is too slow and the angle is too wide also, so even if he turned the camera, the plate is too small and the shutter isn't fast enough.

To reliably get plates, the field of view has to be not much larger than the size of the vehicle- too wide and the plate is too small - and no higher MP cameras will not help either.

Focal length for the distance to the vehicle, shutter speed, and angle gets the plate.

Gary R.

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ultra Smart 2MP IR Vari-focal Bullet WizMind Network Camera Support Face detection,IPC-B52IR-Z12E-S2. IS THIS what I need from Andy?
That is the go to camera for getting plates. It was recently renamed.

Reaction score
When you get it, do NOT install it right away. Try out different places since you have been posting good questions about distance, angle, etc. Do caps both day and night. That will help you decide where to place it.

Gary R.

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
When you get it, do NOT install it right away. Try out different places since you have been posting good questions about distance, angle, etc. Do caps both day and night. That will help you decide where to place it.
I will send you a couple of pictures of where I can set it up. Pretty sure the corner one will work. The other setup I would have to run Ethernet under the grass, not sure I am up to that this time of year.

Gary R.

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Cam4.20230924_092654113.jpgCam4.20230924_092654113.jpgCam4.20230924_092654113.jpgCam12.20230926_054808512.jpg

The picture with the car is the wireless cam that has power but no Ethernet. The second picture is a camera attached to my house with ethernet and covers the corner pretty good. I am thinking the corner is what I was use. Has a pretty straight on angle when they turn the corner either way.

Reaction score
That shot of the curve is looks very good, especially for the Z12E. Realize that if they are coming towards you and have no front plate, you will not get a plate at all. Realistically, one needs to monitor in both directions.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In either location the trees may need trimmed a bit so that the infrared isn't bouncing off the leaves.