Beverly Hills Camera's

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
I like the sun/heat shields. That seems like a good idea that should add a lot of life to a camera. Heat is a huge enemy of most electronics.

jd415

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think those shields are mainly for blocking the sunlight from going into the lens but I could be wrong. But I agree heat does damage all electronics. Above all the cameras there was this big grey box which I think had the wireless transmitter.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
If you look closely at the shields, you can see that they cover the entire top of the camera, and are spaced away from the actual camera body. That spacing allows air to circulate between the shade and the camera case so any heat absorbed by the shade isn't directly transferred into the camera. And being painted white, they reflect the sunlight well on top, and have low emissivity on the bottom to reduce re-radiating any heat towards the camera body, which is also white to reduce its ability to absorb any IR that might get to it.

I think the very tips of the shades may shield the lens to some extent, but shading the whole camera with a separated shield is a really great way to keep the camera cool.

Mounting cameras under eaves is nice, but those that must be exposed to direct sunlight get very hot without some sort of shade. Pretty neat!

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, I like that.

I've spent so much time replacing components, especially bad electrolytic caps, in various electronic devices over the years that I really am a fan of keeping electronics as cool as possible.

And sometimes devices that are outside in the sun get so hot that you can't put your hand on them. That's just asking for premature death.