BI 4.1 Stops Recording

Reaction score
I run several instances of BI for various clients. I've noticed that on the ones which have upgraded from 4.0 to 4.1, specifically 4.1.1.3 x64, I am experiencing recording failures. This problem manifests as one or more cameras stopping recording at irregular times of the day. The live video is still streaming and can be viewed either form the console, remote app or web browser. However, the time is frozen at the point where the recording stopped. The last image is often "smeared". If I click on the last recorded time period from a web browser, BI will frequently crash on the host PC. When restarted, it seems to have lost the configuration which defined it to run as a service and has to be restarted again, like a first time run.

Restarting the BI service or opening and closing the camera configuration resets the recording.

The cameras are configured for continuous recording and some are also configured for motion detection with 6 second recording alerts and images.

On the computers I am seeing this problem, there is no excessive CPU or RAM usage, there is plenty of free storage capacity (recording locally) and the machines are either recent model i5 or i& processors. The amcines all have between 16 and 24GB and are using about 25% of this. There were fine with pre-4.1 installs.

The recording is configured to break/cut at hourly intervals but the failures do not correspond to this event.

I have tried deleting and recreating the camera configuration and one system is a clean BI 4.1 install. The problem persists.

With 4.1, I've also noticed that the option to allow auto frame rate (fps) is greyed out and ticked. This is quite annoying as I don't want high frame rates but BI is setting frames rates to higher than required.

Has anyone else experienced these problems and is there a solution? Or, do I just downgrade and prevent auto update installation?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You should always disable auto update... You need to report this to the developer so it can be addressed... What cameras are you using?

Sent via Taptalk

Reaction score
Thanks Fender. Disappointing about auto update but lesson learned. The cameras are Dahua and appear to be working perfectly. I'll send an email to support but it seems to just be a gmail account and, researching on forums and Facebook indicates that there is infrequently any response.

Should I expect any issues if I downgrade to 4.0.6?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Fender. Disappointing about auto update but lesson learned. The cameras are Dahua and appear to be working perfectly. I'll send an email to support but it seems to just be a gmail account and, researching on forums and Facebook indicates that there is infrequently any response.

Should I expect any issues if I downgrade to 4.0.6?
Understand that there is a single developer behind blue iris.....From what I have seen he generally responds to everyone. The few that dont get responses are those who shoot off nasty emails or those that expect him to help with network setup....He responds quickly and even on weekends. The facebook page has a few posts from greedy idiots who expect a free upgrade to 4 because they have had it for less than a year or those that expect immediate customer support..To them I say go buy milestone for 100 dollars per camera and they will be glad to answer your calls.

If 4.0.6 worked before, there is no reason why it should not work now.

Reaction score
Thanks again Fender. I've been using BI for a couple of years and never had a problem. I'm certainly not the nasty email type and I know Ken is flat out and does a great job.

A new patch update (4.1.1.4) has just come through so I'll give that 24 hours before I take any further action.

corkangel76

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've found @fenderman to be much more support than Ken ever has. I've sent at least 3 or 4 emails to support now asking ken basic questions, and being as professional and polite as humanly possible, to date... not a single response.

*crickets* hey Ken! We love your product, and just need a little bitta help here buddy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Okay.. so the 4.1.1.4 update dis not resolve the problem. On the two systems that I am monitoring, both of which were updated to 4.1.1.4, both experienced recording failures overnight. Each happened at different times with no observable similarities in circumstances. It seems totally random and does not affect all cameras on the system.

I have now downgraded one of the systems to 4.0.6.0. This required an uninstall and reinstall at the lower level.

There is yet another update now available. 4.1.1.5. I have installed this on the other system under observation.

I'll give this new configuration a further 24 hours to see what happens.

Reaction score
I have the same problem and updating to 4.1.1.5 does not help. I have an NVR on the network and it displays and records without issue. I'm using continuous recording for 4 GW-2061IP cameras. The NVR is recording 7 camers. The auto frame rate changes every time you configure a camera and will not hold a manual setting. I'm running a Dell with 8GB ram and i7 processor on Windows 7 Pro. The CPU with 4 cameras run at less than 20%. The network is 1GHz. The displayed video drops out even when not recording.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have the same problem and updating to 4.1.1.5 does not help. I have an NVR on the network and it displays and records without issue. I'm using continuous recording for 4 GW-2061IP cameras. The NVR is recording 7 camers. The auto frame rate changes every time you configure a camera and will not hold a manual setting. I'm running a Dell with 8GB ram and i7 processor on Windows 7 Pro. The CPU with 4 cameras run at less than 20%. The network is 1GHz. The displayed video drops out even when not recording.
You dont need to set a manual frame rate in blue iris..it ends up using more processing power, therefore the option was removed..if the video is dropping out you are having a completely different problem than the OP.

Reaction score
You dont need to set a manual frame rate in blue iris..it ends up using more processing power, therefore the option was removed..if the video is dropping out you are having a completely different problem than the OP.
Ok, then there may be another issue. I have another PC program that came with the system and it does not have the same issues. I like a lot of the features of Blue Iris but if it will not work with my cameras then it will be of little use to me. I almost had it working when it had the manual settings.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, then there may be another issue. I have another PC program that came with the system and it does not have the same issues. I like a lot of the features of Blue Iris but if it will not work with my cameras then it will be of little use to me. I almost had it working when it had the manual settings.
you need to post all your settings to see what the problem may be...

Reaction score
Ok, let me know if I missed anything important.
Schedule = Continuous
Clips and archiving = New, E:\BlueIris\new, Limit folder size = 800GB, Delete
The other options are set at default
** Camera Properties**
General = Default, Network IP, 1920 x 1080, Auto Frame = 27.5, I removed the Date and Time stamp
Configure = Default RTSP H.264/MJPG/MPEG4, Receive buffer = 3.0MB (I raised it to 10MB for a test but it didn’t help)
Motion/Trigger = Disabled
Record = Continuous, Direct to disc
Alerts = Never

Reaction score
Okay.. latest update... Of the two systems that I am using for testing, the one upgraded to 4.1.1.5 continues to have a problem with recording failure. It appears to be totally random. There are no issues with storage capacity, RAM or CPU utilisation. The system that I downgraded to 4.0.6.0 has not experienced any further problems.

It appears that there is a bug in 4.1 onward so I will revert all of the systems for which I am responsible to 4.0.6. How frustrating.