BI 5 - iPhone app no longer able to connect

bigbadw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Upgraded to BlueIris 5. Upgrade went smooth. Configuration files migrated well and all cameras appear to be working correctly.
BUT the iPhone application can no longer connect. Even within the same Wifi LAN. Even through cellular WAN. (each time making sure that only wifi was on, but cellular off, or visa versa to check that route)
The iPhone app just will not connect.
Troubleshooting steps I have taken:
- Ensured both BlueIris on Security PC and iPhone application have same configurations (key, ip addresses, usernames, passwords).
- Checked multiple locations on Security PC to ensure authentic user, password etc.
- Rebooted Security PC with the new BlueIris v5
- Rebooted iPhone
- Uninstalled and reinstalled BlueIris on iPhone. Reconfigured to ensure matching to Security PC BlueIris.

SO FAR NOTHING HAS WORKED.
Is anyone else having this issue?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you have a static public (WAN) IP or do you use DDNS?

Is there a port forwarded in your router to the static LAN IP of the Blue Iris server or do you use a VPN?

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
Iphone 7 here works fine....dbl check your web server Root: path under BI5 settings/web server make sure it points to BI5 folder.

bigbadw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Iphone 7 here works fine....dbl check your web server Root: path under BI5 settings/web server make sure it points to BI5 folder.
Thank you for that! It was DEFINITELY incorrect! It was pointing toward "Program Files/Blue Iris 4/www" not "5".

I corrected that, but still not working. (I rebooted each device to ensure the changes were in effect)

bigbadw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you for that! It was DEFINITELY incorrect! It was pointing toward "Program Files/Blue Iris 4/www" not "5".

I corrected that, but still not working. (I rebooted each device to ensure the changes were in effect)
I pinged the server (on the LAN) and it responds as alive, so it is listening.....)

bigbadw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do you have a static public (WAN) IP or do you use DDNS?

Is there a port forwarded in your router to the static LAN IP of the Blue Iris server or do you use a VPN?
On the WAN access I use a DNS server (to keep up with the changing WAN IP address that providers use).
In my trouble shooting, one of my experiments is to disable cellular (i.e., not using the WAN access path) and just enabling wifi, so I am on the same LAN as the Security PC. It shows the correct LAN address on both the BlueIris web services page and on the iPhone app.....

Yes, definitely port forwarding on the router. (thank you, I double checked the router, it all looks correct still, it shows the correct LAN address and port enabled)
(so frustrating!)

bigbadw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here is a possible new clue:
I just had the iPhone app "forget" the server, put in the proper "key" and had it verify it.
The iPhone BlueIris app automatically populated the fields (IP address, WAN address), I just had to type on "username and password".
I added a "dummy" account for test purposes, to see if that is what is stopping a successful login, but it did not work either....
It still won't connect though.. arghhh....

bigbadw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
UPDATE: PROBLEM SOLVED.
I had to go through the "Remote Access Wizard" and allow it to "set up a rule" to allow access.
Note: this was the third configuration issue I have found with this particular upgrade.
1. The paths for each camera to "Record" video got changed to "NEW" as the location, vs. the "Aux" locations I had set in version 4. Each needed to be changed individually after the upgrade.
2. PC BlueIris needed the Web server path changed from the "Blue Iris 4 www" folder to the new "5" folder location.
3. iPhone remote access required a particular "set up new rule" to allow access. This was found through the "Remote Access Wizard".

Thanks to all who helped me work through this!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Glad you are back up again.

This is exactly why I try to wait some time before upgrading anything (when it's an option to wait) and let the bugs and kinks get ironed out. :facepalm: