BI Alert Distance

Stanley71

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not sure if I phrased the question properly but what Im after is the maximum distance BI will set off an alert. My driveway is several hundred feet long and I want my camera to alert me immediately when someone approaches. Camera would be approx. 400 feet from driveway entrance. Would you have to set the sensitivity to high and get many unwanted alerts at those distances. Is it possible? Hope I made myself somewhat clear.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Would entirely depend on the focal length of the lens used. Has nothing to do with BI. You would need lots of zoom for you or BI to see anything meaningful at that distance.

Stanley71

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've seen numerous videos here where the cameras see much further than 400 feet without zooming. If BI has nothing to do with it what does? If the camera, then my question should have been what is the maximum distance the camera can be set to so an alert is activated? I just want the camera or whatever to send an alert.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure if I phrased the question properly but what Im after is the maximum distance BI will set off an alert. My driveway is several hundred feet long and I want my camera to alert me immediately when someone approaches. Camera would be approx. 400 feet from driveway entrance. Would you have to set the sensitivity to high and get many unwanted alerts at those distances. Is it possible? Hope I made myself somewhat clear.
its directly related to the
I've seen numerous videos here where the cameras see much further than 400 feet without zooming. If BI has nothing to do with it what does? If the camera, then my question should have been what is the maximum distance the camera can be set to so an alert is activated? I just want the camera or whatever to send an alert.
no camera can see anything useful at 400 feet without a high level of zoom/high focal length....as stated, there is no max distance, motion detection is based on pixel changes..if you dont have the pixels you cant trigger a change..you are way better off using some sort of sensor for this task..

Mike.in.Minnesota

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ditto FM.

The sensitivity settings are directly related to size and distance.
Meaning, if you set sensitivity to the area on your driveway close to the house, say withing 40 feet, then it will not trigger in the distance. And, if you set sensitivity to trigger 400 feet out, then it will trigger everything, including leaves, squirrels, and ants (well, maybe not ants), close up! lol

You can resolve this by copying the camera to 2 or even 3 copies, and setting each of those cameras to detect further out sequentially, and setting each cameras sensitivity settings. For example, Cam1 would detect up to 40 feet, camera 2 40-100'. Cam3 100-200...
Thinking about it, you would really only need 2. One for the end of the driveway, and the original for closer. If someone comes into your driveway and does a few donuts, you'll still be alerted by the far-cam, and still get everything recorded in the original.
I've tested this with my street view. And it works well.

Stanley71

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
MM in your scenario if the second camera would be set at 100-200 feet wouldn’t you still get hundreds of alerts?

anijet

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You would need to mask out all but the end of the driveway in the one that detects at the 400'. The one up close would not need masking unless there was something in view that caused false alerts that needed to be eliminated.

Stanley71

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Anti jet I haven’t set up BI yet getting it tomorrow. I was just trying to get ahead of it before install but it appears I’ll have a bit of experimenting and reading to do to get what I want. First I’ll have to figure out the basic stuff. Thanks