BI and Camera SD cards

Elgato54

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you are running Blue Iris or and NVR, do you still use SD cards in your cameras? Will it record to both simultaneously?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I do in a few. Yes, both will record independently.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, in addition to being redundant storage in the event BI crashes or the computer poops out, you can playback with the IVS rules on and see what and how the trigger worked.

It is really beneficial for autotracking PTZs to figure out why it quit tracking.

kjinxx2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I put SD cards in every single camera - if my NVR unit is compromised or goes down I at least have all powered cameras still recording & storing footage.

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I know there are other threads on the subject but while we are here, sizing and preferred brands would be appreciated. I have taken notes in the past but my mental database it pretty well stretched to the limit.

kjinxx2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
SAMSUNG 32GB Evo Plus Class 10 Micro SDHC with Adapter 80MB/S (MB-MC32GA) Pack of 5
This is exactly what I buy

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
I know there are other threads on the subject but while we are here, sizing and preferred brands would be appreciated. I have taken notes in the past but my mental database it pretty well stretched to the limit.
In additional to the search feature, IPCT boards have great feature called 'bookmarks', there's an icon that appears in the upper right of each post. It's a great tool that augments one's mental DB, and helps reduce bouts of CRS (Can't Remember... Stuff)
The bookmark icon is noted by a red circle in this screenshot1659708607369.png

Once selected, you'll be prompted to add additional keywords (for your own use) before the bookmark is saved. Adding keywords is optional, the bookmark is saved with the respective threads' name.

Reviewing your saved bookmarks is as simple as clicking on your IPCT username in the upper right corner and clicking the 'bookmarks' heading (see image below)
1659709146961.png

Having installed a camera more recently with an SD card, I had bookmarked some relevant threads and retrieving the following link was quite convenient:

As for SD sizing, it is dictated by the max card size defined by the camera make/model and directly influenced by the funds available for the project.

Edit: I ended up purchasing a SanDisk 256GB High Endurance UHS-I microSDXC Memory Card from B&H Photo to maximize the odds of receiving a genuine product.

Reaction score
I did a minor research posting into SD cards. I bought 10 at the end of that research and have not needed to buy more. Yet!
I went with the Western Digital Purple SD cards due to their outdoor rating and other numerical values that I can not remember off the top of my head. I should revisit my posting because it was actually interesting :)
Biggest finding I found is that some cards function to -15F and others go down to -77.
Though it has never reached -15 in northern Nevada in 20+ years (though has happened 100 years ago)..... I know in South Dakota, -30 in winter happens often.

Last edited:

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Let me add to this conversation by saying edge recording is & was one of the best things ever incorporated into security video. :thumb: I'll add, if your installation is very serious and you have sat down pen to paper as they say. To maximize this fantastic option people should consider how their network infrastructure is deployed as this really helps in backup, fail over, and resiliency. :cool:

It's safe to say very few people and organizations ever implement: N, N+1, N+2, never mind N+2, 2N, 2N+1

Keep in mind the average person doesn't have to do any of the above. But, even Joe Average is able to use the basic concepts and premises to achieve N.

Edge Recording embodies the N concept . . .

When people first start off in Video Security the vast majority use and deploy a NVR. This offers you nothing but the base system and should anything ever go wrong you lost everything.

So what does Joe Public do???

He backs up the same data to a CD, DVD, Thumb Drive, NAS, etc. This simple fact of backing up either manually vs automatically has pushed you into the N category even if you didn't know it! :lol: You than add on Edge Recording what has that pushed you into as it relates to the N frame work??

So, now Joe Public has a NVR, NAS, and Edge Recording . . .

Again, where is that in the N frame work?? As such its easy to follow and employ such basic and best practices of the security / network industry! :thumb: Regardless of the above simply adding storage is one aspect and to fully achieve a true N frame work requires considering, planning, and than executing the same.

So now you have video storage what is missing in this important frame work??

Power . . .

Again, if we just consider Joe Public its safe to state 99.999999999999999% of the population just plug their video security into the 120 VAC POCO line and that's it. So what happens to your video security when the lights go out???

Did all of that NVR, NAS, Edge Recording help???

No . . .

Because its not recording anything with out power! So the Joe Public invests in a UPS to offer a limited amount of time to record / backup said video! Again, this is easily achieved by Joe Public and mimics what Enterprise does everyday but on a much larger scale! :thumb:

If one looks at the N frame work you can clearly see you have not only adopted the N frame work but you're walking the right path.

But . . .

This too isn't true backup and resiliency! :facepalm::banghead:

Why???

Because 99.999999999999% of the people including Enterprise have adopted & embraced POE. You literally have a single cable providing power & data and (IF) and when the power goes out even though you have a UPS. Once that UPS drains you still have nothing / up to when the lights went out.

So how does one insure a measure of failover and resiliency??? :thumbdown:

I'll let some of the senior guys chime in as to how they would solve this dilemma. Because there isn't just one way but it surely is easier to do and cost very little to implement!

Rock On . . .

kjinxx2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Let me add to this conversation by saying edge recording is & was one of the best things ever incorporated into security video. :thumb: I'll add, if your installation is very serious and you have sat down pen to paper as they say. To maximize this fantastic option people should consider how their network infrastructure is deployed as this really helps in backup, fail over, and resiliency. :cool:

It's safe to say very few people and organizations ever implement: N, N+1, N+2, never mind N+2, 2N, 2N+1

Keep in mind the average person doesn't have to do any of the above. But, even Joe Average is able to use the basic concepts and premises to achieve N.

When people first start off in Video Security the vast majority use and deploy a NVR. This offers you nothing but the base system and should anything ever go wrong you lost everything.

He backs up the same data to a CD, DVD, Thumb Drive, NAS, etc. This simple fact of backing up either manually vs automatically has pushed you into the N category even if you didn't know it! :lol: You than add on Edge Recording what has that pushed you into as it relates to the N frame work??

Again, where is that in the N frame work?? As such its easy to follow and employ such basic and best practices of the security / network industry! :thumb: Regardless of the above simply adding storage is one aspect and to fully achieve a true N frame work requires considering, planning, and than executing the same.

Power . . .

Again, if we just consider Joe Public its safe to state 99.999999999999999% of the population just plug their video security into the 120 VAC POCO line and that's it. So what happens to your video security when the lights go out???

No . . .

Because its not recording anything with out power! So the Joe Public invests in a UPS to offer a limited amount of time to record / backup said video! Again, this is easily achieved by Joe Public and mimics what Enterprise does everyday but on a much larger scale! :thumb:

If one looks at the N frame work you can clearly see you have not only adopted the N frame work but you're walking the right path.

But . . .

Why???

Because 99.999999999999% of the people including Enterprise have adopted & embraced POE. You literally have a single cable providing power & data and (IF) and when the power goes out even though you have a UPS. Once that UPS drains you still have nothing / up to when the lights went out.

I'll let some of the senior guys chime in as to how they would solve this dilemma. Because there isn't just one way but it surely is easier to do and cost very little to implement!

Rock On . . .
Awesome post! I've implemented all of what you've described - my cameras are split across multiple POE switches, each with its own UPS. I have a home-wide generator (natural gas) that functions as a 'secondary' power source. We could go down the rabbit hole w/ single wire as point of failure but that would make my brain explode :p

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Awesome post! I've implemented all of what you've described - my cameras are split across multiple POE switches, each with its own UPS. I have a home-wide generator (natural gas) that functions as a 'secondary' power source. We could go down the rabbit hole w/ single wire as point of failure but that would make my brain explode :p
Good job! :thumb:

As you probably know it comes down to financial ability and than executing the same. When finances aren't there or not enough the examples I provided up above simply affirms nobody has to spend gobs of money to achieve a similar N frame work result.

It won't be anything near a military grade installation but than again 99.99999999999% of the people fist getting into the field start with Just the basics. Its planning and building upon the basic infrastructure and those successes. It doesn't matter if its not today vs tomorrow, years later.

What matters is the basic concept and ideals are just bouncing around in a persons head! :lol:

Just wanted to put out some information for others who may stumble upon this thread. In hopes of them taking in there's always a first step but there are many more to assure a higher level of performance and resiliency!

Rock On . . .

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Reaction score

Power . . .

No . . .

But . . .

Why???

I'll let some of the senior guys chime in as to how would solve this dilemma. Because there isn't just one way but it surely is easier to do and cost very little to implement!

Rock On . . .
I have no idea what is meant by Edge Recording and N-frame. But I think I heard that combination phrase in that 'ol Buckaroo Banzai movie when describing that other dimension

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Weird, I just looked again and the article is fully accessible - WTF?!? I dunno but this specific article outlines the incredible breakthrough on miniaturization of nuclear power.

If true and the eleven countries fully adopt said technology we may very well begin to see different sites and locations sporting this new power generation method.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score