BI and Hughesnet Public IP Issues

Reaction score
Hi Team. Recently, Hughesnet started providing Public static IP addresses, if you have a biz acct and pay for it. I got this acct specifically to use with BI for remote viewing. Unfortunately, BI does not seem to work consistently with my system and I am not sure why, although I have a suspicion.

When using the Remote Configuration Wizard, one of the last steps is for the software to confirm the Public IP address that is entered in the very beginning of the configuration process. I noticed that BI would sometimes confirm the correct address I entered, and sometimes a very different address entered (which failed verification). I spoke to Hughesnet about it, and they said both were Hughesnet Public IP addresses, but they did not know how BI was finding the "other" IP address and not my static IP address.

Is there some kind of bug in the BI software that can cause the address verification to be wrong? I need to know because I am remote much of the time and need to check on this site.

Note that I have actually had the system working on and off for a short periods of time where I can see my cameras remotely, but then it stops. The Public Address for this server is pingable as well, but the error that comes back is:

Unable to Connect. Please try again.
Reason: Unable to reach server.

Any ideas as to what might be going on and how to fix this connection issue other than getting rid of Hughesnet, which unfortunately, is not an option?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Team. Recently, Hughesnet started providing Public static IP addresses, if you have a biz acct and pay for it. I got this acct specifically to use with BI for remote viewing. Unfortunately, BI does not seem to work consistently with my system and I am not sure why, although I have a suspicion.

When using the Remote Configuration Wizard, one of the last steps is for the software to confirm the Public IP address that is entered in the very beginning of the configuration process. I noticed that BI would sometimes confirm the correct address I entered, and sometimes a very different address entered (which failed verification). I spoke to Hughesnet about it, and they said both were Hughesnet Public IP addresses, but they did not know how BI was finding the "other" IP address and not my static IP address.

Is there some kind of bug in the BI software that can cause the address verification to be wrong? I need to know because I am remote much of the time and need to check on this site.

Note that I have actually had the system working on and off for a short periods of time where I can see my cameras remotely, but then it stops. The Public Address for this server is pingable as well, but the error that comes back is:

Unable to Connect. Please try again.
Reason: Unable to reach server.

Any ideas as to what might be going on and how to fix this connection issue other than getting rid of Hughesnet, which unfortunately, is not an option?
First, the wan ip blue iris detects has nothing to do with remote access unless you are using your license key instead of entering the actual static ip in the app.
No need to pay Hughesnet a randsome...look at hamachi (much more secure too) or see ngrok - secure introspectable tunnels to localhost

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Fenderman. I am not using the lic key in the app. I have entered the IP address and the specific port number. Note that it worked for about an hour and then stopped. It has done this on different days as well (very unpredictable). Each time it fails, I can still ping the WAN IP address from outside and it responds, as it should.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I know nothing about Hughes Net, but:
  • What router are you using?
  • Don't call Hughes again about advice for this, if you enjoy your sanity.
  • Use a VPN
  • Don't use the remote config wizard in BI, set it up manually.
  • You can setup a Dyndns in BI to keep track of your WAN Ip.
  • Use said info from the dhndns for your BI app.
  • Do you have the Hughes modem set to bridge mode, and using your own router.
  • Don't forward ports.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hughesnet has pretty high latency (satellite internet) that can mess with live video and audio streams. You also don't need a static IP. A dynamic IP works just fine so long as you use some type of dynamic dns to keep track of your IP. Using something like hamachi or ngrok above is a simpler and more secure option... but it still may not work that well for video over hughesnet.

Video from sources like netflix is a bit different, as the device playing it can buffer it and the latency isn't a problem.

You may want to look into other ISP options like a WISP if there's one in your area.

Reaction score
I know nothing about Hughes Net, but:
  • What router are you using? I'm using the Hughesnet supplied HT2000 5th Gen modem/router

• Don't call Hughes again about advice for this, if you enjoy your sanity. They don't give advice. I just wanted to know if my static IP was really static
  • Use a VPN. As a last resort, I will. This config should actually work tho
  • Don't use the remote config wizard in BI, set it up manually. It was set up manually. I used the wizard to confirm that I had done so correctly.
  • You can setup a Dyndns in BI to keep track of your WAN Ip. I use DynDNS, but don't really need it with a static, public IP address (it's redundant)
  • Use said info from the dhndns for your BI app.
  • Do you have the Hughes modem set to bridge mode, and using your own router. I am using the HN router with Port Forwarding and Port Triggering not using my own router.
  • Don't forward ports. What is the reason not to do so?
Hi Loony2ns...

Reaction score
Hughesnet has pretty high latency (satellite internet) that can mess with live video and audio streams. You also don't need a static IP. A dynamic IP works just fine so long as you use some type of dynamic dns to keep track of your IP. Using something like hamachi or ngrok above is a simpler and more secure option... but it still may not work that well for video over hughesnet.

Video from sources like netflix is a bit different, as the device playing it can buffer it and the latency isn't a problem.

You may want to look into other ISP options like a WISP if there's one in your area.

Hi Tangent. I only have 2 choices. Hughesnet or DSL and I refuse to use 1980's DSL tech.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Tangent. I only have 2 choices. Hughesnet or DSL and I refuse to use 1980's DSL tech.
Forwarding ports tends to be pretty insecure. I'd rather have a blue iris server exposed than a camera directly, but it's still better to do something more secure. More secure options include: hamachi, ngrok, or setting up your own vpn server to allow a secure tunnel into your network.

I feel your pain, my family has a mountain cabin where the choices are "10 mbit" dsl with actual speeds are 512/128kbit up to 1.5mbit/512kbit up, poor cell service, or one of two satellite providers.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How affective would an LTE cable modem with an external attenna in a situation like this? Cell company have a kaniption fit?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Certainly some cellular companies don't like their data plans being used in fixed modems to service a permanent site. Such installations usually create a larger than average load on the network, and always use the same tower, so there ends up being a specific area with this constant drain on resources. They can't have everyone doing this or else they run out of capacity and customers start complaining. However my dad has been doing it for years with AT&T for remote camera installations and my brother has done it successfully with Verizon, however only when the main WISP provider in his area is offline.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Certainly some cellular companies don't like their data plans being used in fixed modems to service a permanent site. ......... However my dad has been doing it for years with AT&T for remote camera installations.........
Interesting...

Got tired of my lousy CenturyLink (rather, UN Link) 1.5Mbps down ADSL, data only, no voice and they just this month had the balls to jack it up another $2/mo. What was $72/mo. 2 years ago is now $87 and it's STILL crap.

So I go by AT&T, pick up their 4G/LTE hotspot with 50GB data/mo. for $60/mo. Even has a phone jack on the back and an old trimline Radio Shack phone works, now have a 10-digit landline (not that I really care).

Log into the webGUI at 192.168.0.1 on the MF279 and it looks like any DSL modem/router guts what with config for LAN IP settings, DHCP pool, port forwarding, even DMZ. When a nearby friend got the same modem 3 months ago I tried setting it up so he could view his BI server remotely and use his iOS app but it was no joy. I've set up about a dozen BI server/remote apps for others, I had set his up before and it worked fine with his CenturyLink ZyXEL PK5001Z DSL modem/router combo. Just never could get his AT&T LTE hotspot to allow remote access.

Now I've got the same hardware and before I even start, what magic did your dad use? Or should I not waste my time and just go the Hamachi or ngrok route?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
You know, @TonyR, it isn't a landline if it is provided over cellular. ;)

Remote access problems are common with cellular modems since the providers rarely provide a public IP address capable of receiving connections from outside unless you pay an exorbitant fee. The "ngrok" program fenderman mentioned would be a much more cost-effective way around that issue.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I set up my dad's cameras on cellular, and in one case I used an OpenVPN client at the remote site, and in the other two cases I used Hamachi, with Neorouter as a backup.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You know, @TonyR, it isn't a landline if it is provided over cellular. ;)
Oh, I know it's not good 'ol POTS with ring/tip.....I'm just used to calling something plugged into an RJ-11 a "landline", but you are very correct. I was reminded of the fact also when the number's prefix is for AT&T cells in this geographic area. :cool:

Gonna look into ngrok...thx!