BI Android app doesn't connect Samsung galaxy 3

peter334

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi. I'm a newbie to this forum. I have four cameras and recently purchased BIv4 and the mobile app.I was able to successfully configure Dahua, Hikvision, foscam and Empire to view remotely with the BI remote view web server on my remote pc. However, when attempting to view on the mobile app, I consistently get the following error: "Unable to connect. Please try again. Reason: Unable to reach server"
I needed to change my port to 8081 since it appeared that my ISP was blocking 81 and this setup works for my remote computer but not my phone. I have double checked my phone settings and even put the external ip in twice while at home and it works-- but nothing connects when I am remote -- even when I enter the ext ip:port into a browser on my phone. My external ip has been static for the past 4 months so I haven't brought ddns into the picture yet. I'm beginning to wonder if my android os version is not supported by the BI mobile version. Any suggestions?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi. I'm a newbie to this forum. I have four cameras and recently purchased BIv4 and the mobile app.I was able to successfully configure Dahua, Hikvision, foscam and Empire to view remotely with the BI remote view web server on my remote pc. However, when attempting to view on the mobile app, I consistently get the following error: "Unable to connect. Please try again. Reason: Unable to reach server"
I needed to change my port to 8081 since it appeared that my ISP was blocking 81 and this setup works for my remote computer but not my phone. I have double checked my phone settings and even put the external ip in twice while at home and it works-- but nothing connects when I am remote -- even when I enter the ext ip:port into a browser on my phone. My external ip has been static for the past 4 months so I haven't brought ddns into the picture yet. I'm beginning to wonder if my android os version is not supported by the BI mobile version. Any suggestions?
Welcome to the forum! Have to tested to confirm that the port is open? Try www.canyouseeme.org
Please post your routers port forward settings as well as your blue iris pc's webserver tab..make sure to redact the external wan ipaddress..
Also try creating a new user name and see if that works..
Make sure you have not accidentally left a space after the ip address or password.

peter334

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes. The port is open as confirmed by canyouseeme.org.I have created the userids with varying lengths with no change in results. I'll include a couple screen captures when I get home from work tonight. Thanks for the quick response.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes. The port is open as confirmed by canyouseeme.org.I have created the userids with varying lengths with no change in results. I'll include a couple screen captures when I get home from work tonight. Thanks for the quick response.
No problem..you might also try uninstalling and reinstalling the mobile app. Dont forget the double check to eliminate spaces after the ip address...also note that the user name is case sensitive (although since its working locally that does not appear to be the problem, unless you disabled authentication for local network devices, in the webserver tab)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
One more thing that came to mind. Do you have any security apps on your phone? I remember seeing a thread about an issue with a verizon security feature on someone phone preventing remote viewing...

peter334

n3wb
Reaction score
I have service through AT&T and I'm not aware of any security apps running. When I look at the current apps the only things running are Facebook and internet. Is there another way to check?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have service through AT&T and I'm not aware of any security apps running. When I look at the current apps the only things running are Facebook and internet. Is there another way to check?
You can try another mobile app, like ipcamviewer and see if it streams...chrome on Android blocks unsafe ports so it wont work....
I would triple check the credentials and also reinstall the app.

peter334

n3wb
Reaction score
Honestly, I haven't had luck with gDMSS, iVMS-4500, or Foscam for remote viewing on my smartphone. They all work individually for their respective cameras on the LAN but not with each other's devices nor remotely. The android browser doesn't work either. Here are my forwards and BI Web Server tab.

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@peter334The settings look correct....the apps you mentioned will only work with their respective devices....since you are having this issue with all those apps it appears that there is something on your phone blocking the connection..do you have another android device you can use for testing? Can you screenshot all the apps installed on your phone? Who is your internet provider?
What are you using for a firewall? disable it for testing the remote connection.

peter334

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok, so i believe I've uncovered a couple items. I tested with my firewall disabled and this appears to have opened a door for smartphone. I was able, for the first time, to view BI remotely from the internet. I also learned that my work mobile wireless must also be blocking any sort of camera application since I still cannot access even though I can vis my work on wireless - diff from mobile wireless. I appreciate your help at least it's a step in the right direction and I'll update my Amazon comments. One other thing but perhaps it belongs on a new post: any tips on how to keep the BI jpeg refresh active? My work seems to have a security 'feature ' that makes me login every ten min or so.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Great. Dont keep you firewall open, set a rule to allow blue iris through..see the networking section of the help file. Not sure about your issue with your work wifi..

peter334

n3wb
Reaction score
I'll double check but maybe the setting when I disabled McAfee for an hour didn't work as advertised. ..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The mcafee fire wall is known to cause BI remote issues...windows and symantec/norton work without a hitch..

peter334

n3wb
Reaction score
As an aside, I'm looking into replacing it with Webroot. Are you aware of any issues with it and BI?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As an aside, I'm looking into replacing it with Webroot. Are you aware of any issues with it and BI?
Not that ive seen...I use norton security or windows firewall with my machines and have no issues.