BI best practices

jrhoops

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I received my order from @EMPIRETECANDY saturday via DHL. I went with 4x 5231R-Z, 2x 4231EM-AS and 1x 49225T-HN. I have a cisco 2960 poe+ 24 port gigabit switch and a dell optiplex 9020 with dual NIC, 16GB ram, 250GB SSD system drive and 2x 8TB WD purple for storage. I decided to build all this out Sunday to ensure everything works before having some dudes come help drag cat6 all over the property. I have netgear nighthawk R7800 running openvpn already.

I configured the switch for 2 vlan and placed all the cams on temp cables, set the ip, changed default admin password and changed some basic settings. I successfully imported all the cameras, configured some basic archiving/storage/etc and got things going with the mobile app and anonymous logins restricted to LAN only.
A couple notes/questions:

1.) I noticed the default system-wide setting for hardware acceleration did not have near the impact as hitting each camera property and setting hardware acceleration manually (no vpp) which dropped CPU usage nearly 30% (running about 30% right now). Is this normal (meaning global vs per camera)?

2.) cameras are set at 8192@25fps with I frame at 25 as well. I did this just to see what the system impact was and following all tweaking I am sitting about 32-35%. Should I drop it or just leave it since I have the performance/capacity? calculators show I should be able to store 21 days of 24/7, it seems most people try to achieve 4096@15fps which is considered good enough but should I "smoke em if I got em?"

3.) I am running BI as a service with a dedicated display attached. what is my best option for live viewing at the highest quality on the attached display? I noticed when launching the admin console it starts a second process, not quite doubling CPU usage but certainly close to it so I just wonder what is the advantage of running as a service or I could just autologin on power up and at least launch the non-admin console automatically? (I understand a service is always preferred but there seems to be a tradeoff here if I need HD live view)

4.) right now I am using BI motion detection but will probably switch to 24/7 recording. I know this has been covered but to ensure I understand this correctly, to record 24/7 AND mark motion events I just select "motion sensors" and/or (??) "camera's digital input" under 'triggers' tab and have "continuous" selected under 'record' tab, correct? A.) should I use BI motion or in-camera or both? B.) IVS is currently not supported at all or just sketchy?

5.) I assume the goals are different based on camera models and their capabilities but based on what I have should I be doing as much as I can in-camera rather than in BI? if I turn off all motion sensing in BI will it still process the stream or open it in some fashion (overlays are already off) or could I then use smart PSS for live view? I'll probably test this out to see anyway

6.)Is there any web interface capable of displaying the main stream at full res for remote live viewing? I assume playing back clips from either the app or web interface would be the main stream at that point but I haven't found where to adjust the quality settings for the web interface or the UI2 but I need to go back re-read the manual and some of the help file pages.

Any other items I am overlooking? Everything seems straight forward, I still have to get the cameras physically installed and start playing with the actual image settings but for now just trying to get the backend, recording and delivery systems configured. Thank you for all the information. Lurking/searching pretty much made this plug and play, the above questions are just me running out of search terms/phrases and trying to avoid a couple weeks of playing around.

dogbert831

n3wb
Reaction score
I'd like to see #3 addressed also. I run BI as a service also and I see that the admin console launches a second process. I have the CPU resources to do that but just wondering what is recommended. My main concern is having BI available on a reboot after a power outage. BTW a 2960 for all this? You're getting serious.