BI Camera ghosting/artifacting after a couple hours of normal recording

mahman

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello!

I've noticed recently that my main Dahua camera after about about 4-5 hours of normal recording will all of a sudden start to show ghosting/artifacting. I can right click on the camera and choose "restart camera" and everything will be fine again until again about 4-5 hours. The settings on the device and in BI I have not touched in probably a year or more and have been working great. It's been a leave it and forget it for a long time now doing its job.

I probably started noticing this deterioration maybe a couple of weeks ago. All I do is update BI whenever an update is available.

Has anyone else noticed any deterioration of recording quality after so many hours? Or any settings that people have changed to fix this? Especially after not having ever changed any settings for so long?

Thanks for any assistance! Everything has been working great until recently.

Attachments

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
Maybe try using H.264 instead of H.264H There has been a lot of tweaking done lately on decoding, so make sure you are running 5.2.6.5 as it appears to be working good.

mahman

n3wb
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the only options for the camera settings are H.264H or H.265, no regular H.264. Is that normal/unusual? And yup, currently on 5.2.6.5

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the only options for the camera settings are H.264H or H.265, no regular H.264. Is that normal/unusual? And yup, currently on 5.2.6.5
Are you running your server headless or with a monitor attached and on?

mahman

n3wb
Reaction score
Are you running your server headless or with a monitor attached and on?
It is headless. I have RDP on my main desktop to it all the time. What's strange is so like just looking at some of the recordings from this morning of a contractor i had over, there's no ghosting or artifacting even though I haven't checked it since last night so a good ~11 to 12 hours, which means it's fine. Again, even though I haven't changed anything! haha.... I'll keep looking at the videos again for the rest of the day and see when it starts ghosting/artifacting again. But again, no idea why it all of a sudden started doing it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It is headless. I have RDP on my main desktop to it all the time. What's strange is so like just looking at some of the recordings from this morning of a contractor i had over, there's no ghosting or artifacting even though I haven't checked it since last night so a good ~11 to 12 hours, which means it's fine. Again, even though I haven't changed anything! haha.... I'll keep looking at the videos again for the rest of the day and see when it starts ghosting/artifacting again. But again, no idea why it all of a sudden started doing it.
There are some threads on this. First think to try is to make sure intel graphics is set to high performance in the windows advanced power settings. If that does not work you can buy an hdmi emulator for 5 or 6 buxs.

mahman

n3wb
Reaction score
There are some threads on this. First think to try is to make sure intel graphics is set to high performance in the windows advanced power settings. If that does not work you can buy an hdmi emulator for 5 or 6 buxs.
Hmm interesting, never knew Windows added individual app settings that you can set the Graphics to be High Performance in the Settings > Display > Graphics Setting. I had set the Advanced Power Settings to High Performance way back when I set this specific computer up. Okay, I added BlueIris.exe, BlueIrisAdmin.exe, and BlueIrisService.exe to use the Intel Graphics as High Performance and I'll see if that helps out over the next couple of days. And never knew about that HDMI dummy plug! I'll try that out if this doesn't work.

Thanks for the info! Appreciate it.

Edit: just ordered random 3 pack of those hdmi emulators too from Amazon, might as well!

Last edited:

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
Hmm interesting, never knew Windows added individual app settings that you can set the Graphics to be High Performance in the Settings > Display > Graphics Setting.
Me ether...will give it a test !

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Whoa, that's way worse than mine! I did just try to do another BI update and see. Camera was working fine at 11:30AM PST today... an hour later, artifact trails behind my wife walking in front of the camera. Essentially no rhyme or reason to when it happens.
Yours is a completely different issue and the solution is as noted.

mahman

n3wb
Reaction score
Yours is a completely different issue and the solution is as noted.
Unfortunately, I just installed the dummy displayport (my optiplex doesn't have hdmi so had to purchase a displayport dummy adapter) and also did the graphics settings and it's still doing the random ghosting/artifacting so now I have no idea. Maybe this weekend I'll create and crimp and test a new cat5e cord or something but again, I haven't changed anything in the past year setting wise :(

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I just installed the dummy displayport (my optiplex doesn't have hdmi so had to purchase a displayport dummy adapter) and also did the graphics settings and it's still doing the random ghosting/artifacting so now I have no idea. Maybe this weekend I'll create and crimp and test a new cat5e cord or something but again, I haven't changed anything in the past year setting wise :(
On my cam that was acting up I switched from Intel to Intel Beta decoder. It has worked fine since on 5.2.7.9 as well. FWI that is the only cam too, all my others run fine on Intel.

mahman

n3wb
Reaction score
On my cam that was acting up I switched from Intel to Intel Beta decoder. It has worked fine since on 5.2.7.9 as well. FWI that is the only cam too, all my others run fine on Intel.
thanks! I'll try this option too! getting frustrating lately having to right click > restart camera all the time.

mahman

n3wb
Reaction score
so far so good for the past 6 hours doing this! We'll see once 24 hours pass and I check what happens with the camera when I'm in bed... but oh man if this is what fixes it... wonderful!