BI Computer, POE Switch, and Router at Remote Location?

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I own a rental triplex, and I'm thinking of installing some security cameras and a small computer to run BI. I will get AC power and a separate ISP account for all of this, but I won't have a separate indoor space to house the equipment. So I'm thinking about hanging some sort of outdoor electrical equipment junction-box thingy off the back of the building and putting some equipment in it. Many questions:
  1. How much computer do I need for 4-8 modest cameras?
    1. Will something like a NUC work if it's all sub streams now? Or do I still need a Core i7 or comparable?
    2. This needs to be super reliable, because I will need to drive over there with a monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc., any time this can't be fixed over RDP.
  2. Can I run BI as a service on a Windows Server OS?
    1. Back to the reliability issue, recent Windows 10 updates have made many of my PCs at work inaccessible over RDP until I logged in via a monitor, keyboard, and mouse (actually a KVM-over-IP switch). Windows Server seems to be better about not ever requiring intervention.
  3. What's a good size for such a cabinet? Can I fit:
    1. Power strip
    2. Very small computer
    3. Cable modem or ONT
    4. Router
    5. POE switch
    6. maybe a single-port KVM-over-IP switch
    7. Into something like this?
  4. Any good options for a 1-device KVM-over-IP that's not horribly expensive?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you own all 3 units?

I'd probably try to put it inside one of the units, putting a locking rack in a closet or similar. You could share the internet with a tenant, as a perk.

Of course this could be challenging for some situations, like a problematic tenant you're trying to build evidence against to evict.

You can set the PC to auto reboot after power failure in the bios and there are various devices you could use power cycle equipment remotely.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'd wire a tamper-switch /door-open switch on that cabinet or closet to a "Shelly-1 UL" input and have it tell Blue Iris to send you a Pushover alert "DOOR OPEN".

Last edited:

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Do you own all 3 units?

I'd probably try to put it inside one of the units, putting a locking rack in a closet or similar. You could share the internet with a tenant, as a perk.

Of course this could be challenging for some situations, like a problematic tenant you're trying to build evidence against to evict.

You can set the PC to auto reboot after power failure in the bios and there are various devices you could use power cycle equipment remotely.
I own all 3 units, but there really isn't any extra space inside any of them for common equipment. I had to get my contractor to build this little cabinet just for Unit A's potential equipment:

1714503006273.png

I think there also would be privacy issues with common equipment inside one tenant's unit.

Yes, I think some sort of auto-rebooter would be desirable; I'm just not sure how complicated it needs to be.

I guess, in a way, I'm looking to build a BlueIris appliance.

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I guess, in a way, I'm looking to build a BlueIris appliance.
I haven't looked at hardware for BI in awhile, but the landscape is interesting. Here's a "mini" form factor PC with an 8-core, i7-9700 for $227 with 16 GB of RAM, a 512 GB M.2 SSD, and Win10 Pro w/Win11 support:
1714512226812.png

That's ‎7.1" x 7.2" x 1.4"

Add a drive for video storage, and Bob's your uncle. For a modest installation like this, 4 TB should be plenty, and I can get a 4 TB 2.5" SATA SSD for $260, or more than the PC cost. It would be slightly cheaper in an M.2 form factor, but that PC already occupies the M.2 slot for the boot drive. A 2.5" spinner would be $125 cheaper, but if I really never want to touch the machine, I think I might want to have no moving parts.

That's a solid-state BI appliance for <<$500 in hardware costs. Not bad!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.