BI Dell Optiplex freezing

BCMguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello,

I picked up an Amazon refurbished Optiplex i7, 16gb ram machine to solely run BI with 7 cameras (2 boobie cams, 9 feeds). I'm running around 6% CPU and less than 20% ram with the server running as a service. Computer is firewalled off from any internet access.

I've run into an issue where the computer completely freezes randomly. Usually it takes a couple weeks or so, however it just did it to me again 3 days after a reboot. The screen 100% locks up, no mouse movement, and the BI app cannot connect to the server. I have to do a hard power cycle at the machine to get everything back online.

It doesn't appear to be a memory leak, as memory usage doesn't rise over time. Event viewer doesn't give me any worthwhile info. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this? I'm frustratingly lost right now. I appreciate any and all suggestions!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Could be a graphics driver issue. Search the forum for your generation computer (i7 doesn't mean anything) and find the right driver.

Did you use the Media Creation Tool to install Windows or used what came with the computer? If you used what came with the computer, then it probably is the graphics driver.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
intel graphics driver maybe,
Clean Windows you should have,
What hard drives are you running &
and Are you rewriting the data to "stored"?

BCMguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Okay, I was seeing processor Temps over 80*C, so I replaced the thermal paste and now they average about 30* cooler. I also have the graphics driver downloaded, the one recommended in the wiki, however I've not been able to install it yet, Windows keeps blocking me saying the currently installed one is the best.

I'm excited to see if the temperature was part of the issue. Will keep everyone posted!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Okay, I was seeing processor Temps over 80*C, so I replaced the thermal paste and now they average about 30* cooler. I also have the graphics driver downloaded, the one recommended in the wiki, however I've not been able to install it yet, Windows keeps blocking me saying the currently installed one is the best.

I'm excited to see if the temperature was part of the issue. Will keep everyone posted!
Windows blocking it means that you are running the Windows version that was doctored by the computer manufacturer. One of the main reasons why the recommendation is to use the Media Creation Tool to install a clean version of Windows void of manufacturer bloatware. As long as you don't experience an issue, you should be ok, but keep that in mind if you continue to have problems.