BI Dream Machine

Molbo

n3wb
Reaction score
After watching my son assembling his new gaming rig, I'm thinking about building something custom for BI.
Assuming the budget is not a big problem, what would be the best hardware for BI?
I think I know what would be a good GPU for CPAI, but what about BI itself?
The goal is to handle as many cameras as possible with as highres motion detection as possible.

What is more important in this case: memory, number of cores, single thread performance or something else?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You will end up with overkill and spending way more than needed LOL.

If going big, then go with the latest i-Nth generation computer with the largest Nvidia GPU.

And keep in mind, that if you are using CPU power hungry highres motion for motion detection, then CPAI has to downrez it before it processes it, so you really are not gaining anything as the AI will be done on a lower quality image anyway. I am using D1 and ran many months with different resolutions and D1 was more than adequate for AI to do its thing.

Why make a computer work harder than it has to?

Remember BI limits out at 64 cameras as well LOL.

Molbo

n3wb
Reaction score
You will end up with overkill and spending way more than needed LOL.

If going big, then go with the latest i-Nth generation computer with the largest Nvidia GPU.

And keep in mind, that if you are using CPU power hungry highres motion for motion detection, then CPAI has to downrez it before it processes it, so you really are not gaining anything as the AI will be done on a lower quality image anyway. I am using D1 and ran many months with different resolutions and D1 was more than adequate for AI to do its thing.

Why make a computer work harder than it has to?

Remember BI limits out at 64 cameras as well LOL.
Well, I'm tracking deer intrusions into 20 acres partially forested property with pretty complex topography.
I cannot cover it densely enough to use low resolution motion detection.
So, I want to have relatively few hires wide angle cameras able to spot a deer from far away.
And, tbh, I’m not sure if I even need CPAI for this, so far BI itself works good enough to me.
So, yeah, I want to make computer work hard to solve hard problems.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well then how about getting a few thermal cameras that will do a much better job at night and a PTZ and use the thermals to point the PTZ where to start looking to capture deer?

Molbo

n3wb
Reaction score
Well then how about getting a few thermal cameras that will do a much better job at night and a PTZ and use the thermals to point the PTZ where to start looking to capture deer?

Oh, huh, how did I miss that one, thank you wittaj.

Pyrofighting

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just completed my dream BI build. Due to some changes in laws, I needed a large and stable machine For my business. It was fun to research and build.

It will record 6 cameras at 5mp 16fps audio/video for 24/7 365 days. Then 42 cameras at 4-8mp for 30-90 days. Plan to use Code Project AI on most of the cameras.

Cooler Master HAF 700
i9-14900K
Noctua NH-D15 CPU cooler
64GB-6000 RAM
ASUS ROG Strix Z790-F Motherboard
1tb Samsung 990 Pro NVME OS drive
4tb WD Black NVME general drive
(14) 18tb WD Purple 3.5 HDD
Nvidia 4070 16gb GPU

There will be a backup to a thunderbolt enclosure for the 6 critical cameras (I plan to clone these cameras and have them send to the enclosure instead of using backup software).

IMG_5520.jpeg

Peter Schumacher

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well how's the performance?
Haven’t started it yet, just getting everything setup. I have 14 internal HDs that have now been setup. I’m gonna use Drivepool to combine some hard drives tomorrow. I have two external HDD enclosures coming tomorrow with hard drives. I have 22 new cameras showing up monday. Then I’ll start adding them!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Haven’t started it yet, just getting everything setup. I have 14 internal HDs that have now been setup. I’m gonna use Drivepool to combine some hard drives tomorrow. I have two external HDD enclosures coming tomorrow with hard drives. I have 22 new cameras showing up monday. Then I’ll start adding them!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If you have problems, take Drivepool out of the equation and test again. I used to use Drivepool and had endless issue, just little weird performance issues that never made sense. Removed it, all problems went away

Denwad

n3wb
Reaction score
i bought a dell inspiron with a 13th gen I7 processor to replace a 8th gen I7 that was beginning to struggle

I have 20 cameras. The I7 stays at about 20% utilization

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
i bought a dell inspiron with a 13th gen I7 processor to replace a 8th gen I7 that was beginning to struggle

Have you done the optimizations in the wiki? Folks are running more cams on a 4th gen at lower CPU% than that.

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

I don't know if I'm just lucky or what but my old Elitedesk G1 tower / i5-4590 / 16GB ram / $20 Geoforce GTX 950 GPU is still chugging away at 35-45% CPU utilization with running 34 EmpireTech cams - mostly 5442's with a couple newer 180 degree ones too. That's also running CP AI on 4 of them. I record nearly everything with "Continuous sub + triggered"

Although the GPU is recent to try out CP, the CP UI still says "CPU" for the detection module so I'm not even sure if my GPU is even doing anything yet lol.

I'm tempted to upgrade the system but as long as its working, I'm just leaving it alone.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm in the unlucky camp, or perhaps its because I'm not using substeams. The sub streams really messes up the UI3 view for me

I hover around 25-30% with my cams, but often it can spike up pretty high with a lot of UI3 instances. I'm tempted to upgrade

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm in the unlucky camp, or perhaps its because I'm not using substeams. The sub streams really messes up the UI3 view for me

I hover around 25-30% with my cams, but often it can spike up pretty high with a lot of UI3 instances. I'm tempted to upgrade
How does it mess up UI3 view? You could always bump up the bitrate if it is the image is too blurry/soft for you.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Last time i tried it, it really messed up the view from, the aspect ratios being slightly different. Perhaps that could be fixed now, I need to try again

There was also a very brief delay when clicking on a camera when it switched from the sub to the main stream, really got on my nerves

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

UI3 works fantastic for me on all my Fire TV/sticks, typically 2-4 UI3's running all the time 24/7... rarely a glitch.

Denwad

n3wb
Reaction score
Have you done the optimizations in the wiki? Folks are running more cams on a 4th gen at lower CPU% than that.
i mean, one of the cores will usually be at 20%. BI says I'm at 0 or sometimes 2%. Not really sure if that's accurate. It doesn't ever seem to lag or anything like that.

BobHarry

n3wb
Reaction score
I just completed my dream BI build. Due to some changes in laws, I needed a large and stable machine For my business. It was fun to research and build.

It will record 6 cameras at 5mp 16fps audio/video for 24/7 365 days. Then 42 cameras at 4-8mp for 30-90 days. Plan to use Code Project AI on most of the cameras.

Cooler Master HAF 700
i9-14900K
Noctua NH-D15 CPU cooler
64GB-6000 RAM
ASUS ROG Strix Z790-F Motherboard
1tb Samsung 990 Pro NVME OS drive
4tb WD Black NVME general drive
(14) 18tb WD Purple 3.5 HDD
Nvidia 4070 16gb GPU

There will be a backup to a thunderbolt enclosure for the 6 critical cameras (I plan to clone these cameras and have them send to the enclosure instead of using backup software).

View attachment 179609
nice build ! that case is a beast. The Noctua is nice but the 14900K can make some heat, my guess is it will run on the hot side with only the air cooling.

Pyrofighting

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
nice build ! that case is a beast. The Noctua is nice but the 14900K can make some heat, my guess is it will run on the hot side with only the air cooling.
So far so good. Only issue is 4 of the 14 internal hard drives are running a little warm. I’ll relocate them inside the case.

I have 32 cameras running of 48 planned total. The processor is only showing 3-4% usage. If the processor starts to get warm I’ll switch to liquid cooled. But for now it’s all running great. The i9-14900 seems to be an amazing processor and complete overkill. I look forward to adding AI and see how it handles it.