BI fails to show lock screen when UI running

bennito

n3wb
Reaction score
This could be a possible repost - not sure where my last post went...

I've been running BI for months without issue, EXCEPT if I leave the UI running for an extended period of time. If I leave it running over a few hours, moving the mouse or keyboard press will NOT display the windows login screen. I am forced to cold reboot the entire machine. The system has sleep disabled in Windows and the BIOS. I have the screen set to turn off after 30 minutes.

Oddities:
  • If I leave the machine running without the UI, it responds just fine.
  • Even though the machine with the UI running will be unresponsive, BI is still recording alerts and running tmk.

Has anyone else run into anything like this? Or propose an option/help?

jmhmcse

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
reminds me of a "power save" setting that won't reset (back to running) with kb/mouse activity.

you may want to inspect windows' device settings for Power Management and disable any Allow the computer to turn this device off to save power settings

Computer Management / Device Manager / <device's property (right click on specific device)> / Power Management TAB / <device's current setting>​

a few of the devices that (typically have this option) are: bluetooth, network adapters; usb; keyboards; mice and other pointers

check all components that are listed in Computer Management/Device Manager.

====

Also inspect windows' Power Settings/Power Options configuration for additional power savings, allow-sleep, or hibernate settings

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
If your using a TV screen as a monitor rather than a PC monitor with sleep/resume functionality it " might" be fucking with you.
I had a Sony Bravia that only went Power Mgmnt blank on VGA connector but not on HDMI. Picked up a 32" dell at Costco now
I get a login screen, after configuring a few things.
1665177260034.png

1665177379652.png
1665177408153.png
1665177435119.png

bennito

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok. I'll try these settings. Thanks for the screenies. It absolutely does feel like its messing with me, because checking windows error logs after cold boot, shows me nothing. The monitor is just a simple Dell 24" P2419H

I confirmed and double confirmed my power plan settings are all disabled, no hibernate, no sleep in windows as well. BIOS sleep is also disabled.

bennito

n3wb
Reaction score
FYI.. one difference I already see is that my version (current) of Windows 10, is not showing me "Put computer to sleep ..." option.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
could be having your BIOS has sleep settings disabled might be causing that option to be greyed out or not even shown.

bennito

n3wb
Reaction score
I definitely disabled sleep in the bios, so that’s likely it. Next time this happens, I’m going to try and swap out the monitor. I already tried swapping out the mouse and keyboard and that didn’t help.
Last option will be to never let the monitor sleep? Which is fine.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
bummer.
if you enable a 1 minute screen saver will it display a logon screen after you wake with mouse?

bennito

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, @Flintstone61

I set a screen saver and set the monitor to NEVER turn off in the windows power settings. That seems to have worked. I'm guessing the video drivers may be bad, from what I've read online, but it doesn't matter to me if the monitor stays on with a screen saver, as long as BI responds now. :)

bennito

n3wb
Reaction score
It's a Dell refurb: OptiPlex 7040 SFF i5-6500 32GB RAM

I'm running only BI on it. Nothing else. With substreams, the machine just hums at low CPU and under 1GB RAM

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Weird.....When i stopped building my own Pc's and got a hand me down Dell XPS, I was amazed how well Sleep and hibernate and other low power states actually " worked" without funky stuff happening to the OS.... or having to reboot because some hardware wasn't happy playing together.
So I was going to recommend a Dell or HP or Lenovo if you were running a funky box.....But Dude you got a Dell....Hmmmm
I'm sure with enough tinkering we could manage to either fix it or completely screw it up beyond all recognition...:)

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Could be the program is not releasing the mouse, and the sleep state is tuning off the mouse and keyboard.
Change this in your power settings, and see if that fixes it:
Power options-> USB -> USB Selective suspending-> Disabled

This problem is not really the program or the usb, ts the video driver. But changing the USB behavior might fix this.

Last edited:

bennito

n3wb
Reaction score
Two days later and that seems to have done the trick. Which kind makes sense, because no matter what mouse/keyboard or kvm I installed, it always failed until now.

If it does happen to fail again, I'll just fall back to leave it running. I can't imagine the cost of that little PC being noticeable anyway. Thanks, @tech_junkie