BI focus control dosn't work for me with IPC-HEW5241E-Z12E

Cam_curious

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just bought an IPC-HEW5241E-Z12E from Andy to use for LPR purposes. I have everything working OK
but the focus controls in BI don't work. The zoom controls in BI work OK. I have the camera profiles all set to
"manual". The focus control in the camera web page works OK. I have the BI "Make" set to Generic/ONVIF
and the "Model" set to *RTSP H.264/H.265/MJPG/MPEG4. I am running BI Rev: 5.3.7.12 x64.
The camera is running firmware: Version V2.800.0000000.20.R, Build Date: 2020-09-03. This is the
original firmware that came with the camera.

What am I doing wrong?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Those controls in Blue Iris are intended for PTZ cameras, not varifocals. If it happened to work for a varifocal then count yourself lucky, or unlucky in this case.

Varifocals are intended to be setup in the camera web GUI and then left alone. They are not designed to be zoomed and focused with any frequency.

If you want zoom/focus control, then a PTZ is what is needed.

If you do not have a PTZ, you can right-mouse click and remove the PTZ control menu from Blue Iris so that you don't see it and accidentally mess up your settings. The bonus is your videos are now larger!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
On the camera setup page, select the PTZ tab. then manually change from ONVIF to Dahua v4 in the drop down, see if that helps.