BI Hardware Reccomendation: Recording 7 IP cam's for TV

plaino

n3wb
Reaction score
OK Folks, I need your expert opinion on this. I am new to BI. We have a sports track that we are currently live streaming our local races. Right now we have 2 static Dahua cams and 1 PTZ Dahua cam. Our goal is to ramp up to include 4 more static cams around the track, total of 7.

In addition to live streaming I am using a separate computer to record the cams using BI. Right now I am recording just the 3 cams. In the future I will be recording all 7.

Right now I am recording the 3 at 1920x1080 and 29.97 FPS (NTSC). the reason I am recording at that level is because next year we are going to be sending all our footage to a production house and they are going to edit it down to an hour and air it on TV.

Now I need your help because just recording the 3 cams we have now is maxing out the CPU. It is a 3rd gen i5 with 12GB of RAM. I know I read somewhere the higher the framerate the more the CPU is used. I cant lower the framerate or it might not look good on TV.

I am looking for a reccomendation for either settings changes or if need be, new computer options. My boss said if we need to look at a dedicated server then so be it. Thank you for all and any help.

Justin

Git

Banned
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum and the real 'experts' should be along shortly...

One option that really effect CPU usage is the "Direct-to-disc" which does not transcode the video stream. This should lower you cpu usage, but the tradeoff is it will not record any of the BlueIris overlays or rotate the image for you. (It will record any overlay that is setup in the camera like the date and time

The option is found in BlueIris for each camera. RECORD tab and then down at the bottom FILE FORMAT AND COMPRESSION and then you should see "direct-to-disc" under encoder (compression)

Try that first