BI IOS App - OpenVpn Connect issue

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Yep - sounds like split tunnel. Sounds like your are still going out and back in again via the port forward. Can you open a browser on the phone and try accessing the UI3 web server?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

justme12

n3wb
Reaction score
Yep - sounds like split tunnel. Sounds like your are still going out and back in again via the port forward. Can you open a browser on the phone and try accessing the UI3 web server?

YES access BI fine!

justme12

n3wb
Reaction score
OK - results: Rechecked every router setting and redid the OpenVpn config. Results.

1. Iphone with wifi off and openvpn on = matches home ip (ip chicken)

2. BI IOS app connects = YES
but: does not have the 3 little squares on screen and will NOT connect if local ip put in WAN slot ( have to have remote address)

3. Disconnected port forwarding and BI IOS app = will NOT connect

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
OK - results: Rechecked every router setting and redid the OpenVpn config. Results.

1. Iphone with wifi off and openvpn on = matches home ip (ip chicken)

2. BI IOS app connects = YES
but: does not have the 3 little squares on screen and will NOT connect if local ip put in WAN slot ( have to have remote address)

3. Disconnected port forwarding and BI IOS app = will NOT connect
You might need to take a PCAP with Wireshark to see what is going on - my guess is that you are hitting the WAN address and coming back in. That's why you don't see the little network symbol on the BI iOS app. For some reason, the iPhone web browser will hit the internal address but when you run the BI app, OpenVPN is sending you out and back in. That would also explain why you can't connect when you disable port forwarding. Are there any split tunnel settings in OpenVPN that you have enabled?

justme12

n3wb
Reaction score
You might need to take a PCAP with Wireshark to see what is going on - my guess is that you are hitting the WAN address and coming back in. That's why you don't see the little network symbol on the BI iOS app. For some reason, the iPhone web browser will hit the internal address but when you run the BI app, OpenVPN is sending you out and back in. That would also explain why you can't connect when you disable port forwarding. Are there any split tunnel settings in OpenVPN that you have enabled?
No split tunnel option enabled. Funny if on iphone I leave the wifi on, connect to open vpn and then BI, I get the 3 symbols.

What I'm going to do this weekend - is set up an old router from stock firmware. If that works, I'll take the existing router and reset to original software and then re flash to a brand new Asusdwrt merlin.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
in the asus router setting for openVPN. What is the setting for "client will use VPN to Access" ?

justme12

n3wb
Reaction score
GOT IT WORKING!!!!! Run OpenVpn/connect/log on to BI IOS App with local address in Lan & Wan field = Connects with the 3 small squares.

ipchicken shows ip matching home ip with wifi turned off and on iphone LTE.

Turned of BI port forwarding and all works.

RESOLUTION: Upgraded to to the latest Asuswrt-Merlin firmware of 02/12/21 (from the AM site) which was not showing in the router app as available.
CHANGE LOG identified: - Support for new OpenVPN 2.4 features

Turned of BI port forwarding and all works. Thank you all for the support. Little things make it happen.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Hey congrats. I had a feeling it was related to OpenVPN.