BI Launch on bootup?

eggzlot

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have my PC in a battery back up. I should get about 40 minutes of juice. However, if I am at work/vacation, etc (ie not home for more than 40 minutes) and there is a power outage, as of now I am SOL when the power comes back. I am going to go into my computer BIOS to set the feature to have the computer turn on when power is detected. I may be down a few hours, but at least when it gets power, the PC will automatically turn on.

I saw a feature for Run as a Windows Service but said for advanced use, so I did not touch it. I read in the help:
will
Use the Run Blue Iris as a Win32 service option to start Blue Iris when your computer starts up, without requiring a login. When the PC or Blue Iris is restarted, Blue Iris will run on the "LocalSystem" account (a privileged account not requiring login, but having no user interface). You may run Blue Iris again as a "console" that will interact with the service. The console can edit settings, restart cameras, and view stats and messages. Important notes about running as a service:
interact with the service. The console can edit settings, restart cameras, and view stats and messages

So that makes me think if I select this option, that when my computer turns off, then turns back on, BI will start up "in the background" so to speak. on the PC you will not be able to see anything or make edits but it will run in the background and record the cameras? And I could see things remotely via my app or a web browser?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Does it work even if the account is password protected at login ?
It should, but obviously you wont see BI, unless you enter the password...or setup windows to automatically enter the password on startup..

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
FYI eggzlot, I run my BI server the same way but I find the auto-power-on thing in the bios is sometimes not 100% reliable. So I have my server hooked up to one of these: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EZWD146

In fact I now have 4 of them in my house and, would you believe it, the one camera I don't have powered through one of these is the one camera that sometimes needs remotely rebooted.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
FYI eggzlot, I run my BI server the same way but I find the auto-power-on thing in the bios is sometimes not 100% reliable. So I have my server hooked up to one of these: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EZWD146

In fact I now have 4 of them in my house and, would you believe it, the one camera I don't have powered through one of these is the one hikvision camera that sometimes needs remotely rebooted.

eggzlot

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

In fact I now have 4 of them in my house and, would you believe it, the one camera I don't have powered through one of these is the one hikvision camera that sometimes needs remotely rebooted.
BP - are your cameras wired in there or the computer running Blue Iris? My critical cameras are PoE and the PoE switch is in a rack mounted APC rack mount which then goes into a power conditioner/surge protector then into the wall.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Both. One, in my garage, which feeds power to most of my cameras. One in my living room lets me remote reboot my a/v equipment. Two in my "server room" (spare bedroom) for rebooting PCs and network equipment. All of these are connected to high end consumer UPS. It is very rare that I need to reboot anything with them, but it is nice to have them around just in case. I also keep all my important network switches on UPS power, which is something easy to forget if you have a big network setup! LOL. For instance I have a switch in my hallway closet that links the house to the garage and for the longest time it didn't have a battery backup so if the power had gone out, so would my cameras.

eggzlot

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
so just to be clear, for my PoE switch I should go Cameras > Ethernet > PoE Switch (Cisco SG 300 model) > APC Battery > Panamax MR4300 > the item you sent me > wall outlet

I have 2-3 other things in the APC Battery and Panamax as well. Mostly stuff around my Control4 system (the brains of the system, an audio matrix switch and 1-2 other small items).

I could move the reboot outlet switch somewhere else on the line too just to reboot the Cisco Switch or something?

This gets real confusing real fast :)

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Nah, in that configuration if you wanted to power cycle anything you'd have to wait for the APC Battery to run dead. If you get a Web Power Switch, you would connect it just before the individual devices that could potentially require a remote reboot (like the PoE switch).

For example: Cameras > Ethernet > PoE Switch (Cisco SG 300 model) > Web Power Switch > APC Battery > Panamax MR4300 > wall outlet