BI Motion Detection “missing” significant motion

garmcqui

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all,

Have recently set up a new BI computer and 4 Dahua cams (via Andy) for my parents. Doing most of the setup and fine tuning by teamviewer, as they’re in Ireland and I’m in England.

All cams are set to record continuously, but also set to be triggered by motion. There have been a few instances now of the motion detection simply not triggering. I’ve attached an example clip, which shows significant motion yet no trigger was registered.

I’ve also attached a couple of screenshots of the motion detection setup, for info.

D99CE645-FF7D-4E85-B775-FD87EE877C72.jpegE947329F-34EA-419C-8B91-70B1BDF18BA4.jpeg

What am i doing wrong?

Thanks

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You left out the configuration for "object detection". You know that you can make detection adjustments, then run the clip through to see if it triggers so that you know what effects the changes have made produce. Doing this remotely can be challenging, though.

garmcqui

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Are you using limit decoding?
nope, limit decoding disabled. Also, smaller movements have triggered the system, such as a person walking to the door. But it missed the car in this instance?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
nope, limit decoding disabled. Also, smaller movements have triggered the system, such as a person walking to the door. But it missed the car in this instance?
if you are using edge vector, try switching to simple

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
His 2nd screenshot shows he's using edge vector. Before turning it off, try turning off the 'object size exceeds'.

As soon as I switched to edge vector, I had to turn that off or it wouldn't pick up a car entering my driveway.

garmcqui

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ok, have turned off the "image size exceeds" option, and will see how that goes. Unfortunately its very foggy there tonight, so the cameras all look like they're in a blizzard at the minute!

interesting though that I did run the clip through the motion detector and got lots of red squares, even before changing settings.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
There you go! It is possible that since the scene was pretty quickly illuminated that BI discarded that trigger as being a scene change rather than an object. It'll be interesting to see how it works with that turned off.

garmcqui

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
There you go! It is possible that since the scene was pretty quickly illuminated that BI discarded that trigger as being a scene change rather than an object. It'll be interesting to see how it works with that turned off.
This is how it looked running the clip through the motion detector, with no settings changed though. Surely even if BI discarded the trigger as being a scene change, the previous triggers where the car first appears should’ve been kept? No?

(sorry, filming on mobile phone was the only way I could think of to share this!)

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like the flood light coming on killed the alert due to Image Size setting.
You can change the setting and see the result in run through motion detection each time.
Be sure you start playing the clip 30 sec's prior to the motion event while testing.

garmcqui

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I see, so that killed all alerts in the previous few seconds too? Is that because the break time is set to 10sec? Wonder if I could shorten that?

Also need to play with the camera settings, want to try and avoid the cam switching to colour every time that light comes on.