BI not sending MMS alert message

Reaction score
I recently upgraded to BI 5, using the save-settings capability from BI 4 to set up the new installation. After I figured out how to navigate the new improved (!) interface, almost everything seems to be working as before with my single-camera home application. The exception is that I can't get my single "action set" to send a text message (Verizon MMS) to my cell phone announcing the alert with the attached triggering JPEG. As with V4 I'm using only two profiles: a 24/7 "Home" profile where BI neither records nor alerts on motion, and a 24/7 "Away" profile where BI records video on motion detection, and sends the MMS text message. I'm getting the expected video clip recording when I test the "Away" action set, but no MMS text message. This all worked beautifully with V4. Nothing has changed (cell carrier, phone number, etc.) since I migrated to V5. I was hoping someone could tell me what I'm overlooking.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Since SMS and MMS text messages are sent using SMTP e-mail, have you double-checked those settings?

Reaction score
Hmm. I'm getting an SMTP authentication error when I try to send a test message through the BI Edit Email Server dialog. I'm using Gmail. I have checked my Gmail username and password several times, and they are correct. The BI dialog is showing the correct entries for both variables. I have no problem sending e-mails via MS Outlook or the Gmail web app using these credentials.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hmm. I'm getting an SMTP authentication error when I try to send a test message through the BI Edit Email Server dialog. I'm using Gmail. I have checked my Gmail username and password several times, and they are correct. The BI dialog is showing the correct entries for both variables. I have no problem sending e-mails via MS Outlook or the Gmail web app using these credentials.
Log into your account settings in Gmail and allow 'use less secure applications'.
If no joy, you might instead have to set up 'sign in using app passwords'.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It's funny. I have another BI (V4) installation running 5 security cameras at our model airplane club field, under a separate Google account, also running under Windows 10. I've had no issue getting MMS alert texts with the "allow less secure applications" turned off. Who knows what evil lurks in the mind of Google!

Thanks again.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It's funny. I have another BI (V4) installation running 5 security cameras at our model airplane club field, under a separate Google account, also running under Windows 10. I've had no issue getting MMS alert texts with the "allow less secure applications" turned off. Who knows what evil lurks in the mind of Google!

Thanks again.
It would not surprise me if you reported later in the day or next week that it quit working.

Over the last couple of years, I'd say that performing any SMTP function via G-mail with BI, a NVR, a camera, or whatever has had the most up/down. on again-off again issues and numbers of posts on this forum than any other SMTP host.