BI on poweredge server/win 2012 r2 server?

jmg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm currently running a poweredge server for various purposes, running two e5 v2 xeon cpus. Since xeons don't have quick sync, I didn't feel it worth putting blue iris onto the server (most likely would have been fine, since I'm running 2x xeons with 20 threads each). The server is doing very light duties at this point, mostly file serving-- it's very underutilized (this is a home hobby setup, not a mission-critical office set up).

Blue iris is currently sitting on an entertainment PC with a an i7700k and a titan XP.

Now that BI supports cuda decoding, I'm debating tossing in a spare 1080/1080ti into the server...This would let me shut down the entertainment pc (which currently is running 24/7) and consolidate onto the server. Also would help save some internal network bandwidth.. I'm currently saving the video from all 12 cameras on the the server drives, so video goes from cameras -> entertainment pc -> server.

any compatibility issues with this? I'm running win 12 r2 server on the poweredge, does BI play nice as a service on window server?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I imagine it would work, though you are probably better off just taking the titan XP out of the entertainment PC and letting it run as a dedicated BI box.

jmg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
yeah, that would make it a great BI box, but a horrible entertainment/HTC pc. :)
I'd have to build yet another box to do that.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh I thought you were talking about retiring the entertainment PC, but you just mean you don't want to run it 24/7 anymore. Gotcha.

Reaction score
Can you slap a Killawatt on both the computers? This feels like you are asking if it would make more sense to just run the Xeon or Xeon+CUDA 24x7 and save the i7700K for just entertainment periods. It would help a lot to work with real numbers, but I will say that newer processors get more done per watt and have much lower idle power usage (not sure if your i7700k is really ever at idle though), I doubt there is much payoff because you are talking about running the more efficient CPU 75% less but running the 2nd gen Xeon quite a bit harder (or Xeon + GPU 24x7 eek). I'm even reconsidering my BI-on-2600K for this very same reason, I know it CAN do BI (and it was "free" after $60 motherboard and industrial case) but its less efficient than something newer like a 4-6 core i5 would be.

Personally speaking, we always ran computers 24x7, because the alternative was long boot times for a couple hours of entertainment. With the new computers I figured cost savings on the processor efficiency was well worth it (newer processors being more efficient than dinosaurs) -- this is typically where @fenderman leads people to newer architectures for 24x7, they simply take less juice. But net-net the gain was significantly more than expected because now no one leaves a computer on unless they need to "merchant" something in a game, because the SSD systems boot in under 30 seconds. Added bonus, if Windows crashes mid-game its significantly less frustrating. Win-Win.

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Added bonus, if Windows crashes mid-game its significantly less frustrating.
Unless it forces you to scan your disk for errors before it will boot back up! (not sure if it ever actually forces that or just strongly recommends)

jmg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Can you slap a Killawatt on both the computers? This feels like you are asking if it would make more sense to just run the Xeon or Xeon+CUDA 24x7 and save the i7700K for just entertainment periods. It would help a lot to work with real numbers, but I will say that newer processors get more done per watt and have much lower idle power usage (not sure if your i7700k is really ever at idle though), I doubt there is much payoff because you are talking about running the more efficient CPU 75% less but running the 2nd gen Xeon quite a bit harder (or Xeon + GPU 24x7 eek). I'm even reconsidering my BI-on-2600K for this very same reason, I know it CAN do BI (and it was "free" after $60 motherboard and industrial case) but its less efficient than something newer like a 4-6 core i5 would be.

Personally speaking, we always ran computers 24x7, because the alternative was long boot times for a couple hours of entertainment. With the new computers I figured cost savings on the processor efficiency was well worth it (newer processors being more efficient than dinosaurs) -- this is typically where @fenderman leads people to newer architectures for 24x7, they simply take less juice. But net-net the gain was significantly more than expected because now no one leaves a computer on now unless they need to "merchant" something in a game, because the SSD systems boot in under 30 seconds. Added bonus, if Windows crashes mid-game its significantly less frustrating. Win-Win.

Yeah, my question really meandered about -- but the punchline is I'm wondering whether there are any incompatibilities between windows server and bi -- especially when running as a service. many software packages won't run on windows server (even though it's completely compatible) , b/c the publisher wants more $$$ for a server install.

Not really a question on power -- the poweredge is going to be running 24/7 no matter what, I'm really only debating tossing an NVIDIA gpu in it to do BI duties, and shutting down the entertainment pc, only turning that on for movies/games/VR

The xeons really aren't that bad-- the TDP on the i7700k is around 90 watts, the 10 core Xeons are 110. Granted, I have two of them.. but.. I have a set of intel xeon 2650 v2l chips that I'm probably going to swap in. They're only 6 core/12 thread each, BUT, they're low voltage xeons -- they run at 60watt tdp each. I may even just run one instead of both. Issue with the poweredge is not necessarily the xeons, more the disk subsystem.. I'm running 12x 3tb drives.

I'll slap a kilowatt on it, but others in the reddit /homelab group have similar setups, are report around 120/130w. Of course, that's without a dedicated GPU.

Reaction score
Yeah, but put that 1080Ti GPU in the Xeon and hit it with a decent load (to offload the CPU's) and I bet it draws additional 100-200 watts !! Toms Hardware did a power consumption test under Idle, Mild load, etc and even though idle was low (13W) under any decent load consumption shoots up really quickly. Might be better off to just run the Xeon's a little harder in that case, or longer-term-thinking add a third, power efficient, non-GPU, QuickSync enabled system for BI and call it a day.

The right choice could be found via testing on a Killawatt, but not sure how hard it would be to put BI on the Xeon system, seems like in your config the Xeons are doing some of the work already plus you are sending twice the data over the LAN I guess and you have more points of failure. It feel to me from some of the reading that the CUDA is really to add more capacity when you've finally added too many cameras and don't want to spring for a completely new setup.

jmg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks. power issues really aren't my concern. I'm trying to simplify/decrease network congestion/ reduce the number of boxes I have to administer in the house. the poweredge is going to be running all the time anyway... even if I drop in a 1060 or a 1050 (I have one of each hanging around) instead of the titan, it'll accomplish my goals.. hopefully... if BI plays nice with windows server.

Good point on just running software decoding-- with 40 thread capability, maybe it'll work fine without flooring the system and I don't need cuda. Heck, my 7700k was running at 60% with only 8 thread capability before I realized quicksync wasn't enabled :)

Reaction score
And although there might be a point of diminishing returns relative to threads (i.e. you might jump from 60% to 85% with the next camera if your i7 is nearing capacity), you are going from 4 CORES to 20 CORES ! Besides building a 300 watt space heater, you might be surprised, it could work better (not better in performance/kWh-electric but better/smoother/more-responsive).

Also check out other people config/statsBlue Iris Update Helper looks like there are examples where Xeons are working for high Camera & MP/s although I didn't see any using Nvidia 1080 cards (but some did have other Nvidia cards with and without hardware acceleration).

Reaction score
Unless it forces you to scan your disk for errors before it will boot back up! (not sure if it ever actually forces that or just strongly recommends)
*knocks on every last remnant of wood within reach* so far haven't seen that prompt (yet) running SSDs, but regardless I think they'd skip it until Windows finally gives up booting, then life itself would be "over" until I got it reinstalled. :D

jmg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
well, server is here, I'm getting it up to speed, going to try it with and without a 1080ti, see how it goes