BI Records Person, but not a Broom!

DroMike

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yesterday I installed the latest of my 5 cameras. It's a bullet cam which points to a small-in-width vulnerable area outside my back-of-house bedroom windows.

This morning, I endeavored to test BI's (V4) ability to trigger/record from this camera: I stuck a common household broom out the window and waved it slowly up and down in a 3-foot arc, clearly in the coverage area for about 10 seconds. BI did not trigger or record this activity even though I'd already set the minimum object size for detection to 147 (which is almost the highest amount of sensitivity).

I then walked out to the area and placed myself clearly in the coverage area for a few seconds. When I came back in I saw that BI recorded this activity successfully (and I received my configured SMS alert - COOL!).

I really don't expect to find suspicious people or bodies back there to record, but I AM keen on seeing if animals (cats, racoons, etc. as I suspect) traverse that area at night, so want to count on it to record items smaller than a human body. Yes, I'm relatively new to BI, but based on the above, can somebody provide a suggestion or suggestions as to why it recorded me, but not my conspicuous broom waving? Thanks.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yesterday I installed the latest of my 5 cameras. It's a bullet cam which points to a small-in-width vulnerable area outside my back-of-house bedroom windows.

This morning, I endeavored to test BI's (V4) ability to trigger/record from this camera: I stuck a common household broom out the window and waved it slowly up and down in a 3-foot arc, clearly in the coverage area for about 10 seconds. BI did not trigger or record this activity even though I'd already set the minimum object size for detection to 147 (which is almost the highest amount of sensitivity).

I then walked out to the area and placed myself clearly in the coverage area for a few seconds. When I came back in I saw that BI recorded this activity successfully (and I received my configured SMS alert - COOL!).

I really don't expect to find suspicious people or bodies back there to record, but I AM keen on seeing if animals (cats, racoons, etc. as I suspect) traverse that area at night, so want to count on it to record items smaller than a human body. Yes, I'm relatively new to BI, but based on the above, can somebody provide a suggestion or suggestions as to why it recorded me, but not my conspicuous broom waving? Thanks.
Its all about the proper motion settings in BI.
These might help. Blue Iris Video Tutorials | IP Cam Talk

DroMike

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That (advice) fixed it!!

I watched the basic motion detection vid which clued me into lowering my contrast and "MAKE" time and sure enough it triggered, recorded and notified me! Obviously this is all a piecemeal learning experience, one item at a time. At least now I won't forget this particular lesson. Thanks!

Happily, if a standard broom or any one of it's friends (whisk brooms, mops, etc.) tries to burglarize me, BAM, I'll have videos of them! ;)

broom test.jpg

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That (advice) fixed it!!

I watched the basic motion detection vid which clued me into lowering my contrast and "MAKE" time and sure enough it triggered, recorded and notified me! Obviously this is all a piecemeal learning experience, one item at a time. At least now I won't forget this particular lesson. Thanks!

Happily, if a standard broom or any one of it's friends (whisk brooms, mops, etc.) tries to burglarize me, BAM, I'll have videos of them! ;)

View attachment 54419
That's definitely a location that will do better with the cam in corridor mode. Looking at all that wall, is wasted pixels and reflects IR.

DroMike

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll have to research if "corridor mode" (presumably a tunnel-like view of a narrow area) is a feature of my camera or in Blue Iris itself that I can take advantage of. Otherwise, I have the recording to trigger in a zone that doesn't include the neighbors' side on the left or up/over the fence (so cars won't trigger it). It's only for the small patch on my property where some windows are hidden from public view.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll have to research if "corridor mode" (presumably a tunnel-like view of a narrow area) is a feature of my camera or in Blue Iris itself that I can take advantage of. Otherwise, I have the recording to trigger in a zone that doesn't include the neighbors' side on the left or up/over the fence (so cars won't trigger it). It's only for the small patch on my property where some windows are hidden from public view.
I just saw your using bullets, probably can't do corridor. This is what it would look like.
SunroomWalk 2020-01-23 02.34.52.683 PM.jpg

DroMike

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK, thanks. I'm just amazed everything works for my purposes. You're kind to have responded and your help was much appreciated.

Last edited: