BI running on Linux

dbrannon79

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello all, I stumbled across a thread on the Linux Mint forums on how one of their members was able to get BI running on Linux. I would post a link to the thread, but not sure if cross posting is allowed here (please let me know if ok and I will post the link)

I am looking to "Jump Ship" on the Microsoft train at some point in the future as they make things more and more boxed in with that platform. I decided to try this out on a VM to see if it was viable to do and run reliably when that day comes. I have BI up and running and seems very stable although I have not added any cameras to it yet. I changed a couple of setting in BI for the web ui to work (login and port) but when I open the web ui in a browser I only see a blank white screen. BI does see that I am connected through the ui as I can see it in the logs and the browser tab shows the BI logo in the tab.

This was just a attempt to see if it works and if it would be a stable and viable solution running on Linux. would anyone out there have some knowlage as to what I may need to configure for the web ui to work? I'm sure there is some windows dll's or setting that is needed for it to work properly.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
Hello all, I stumbled across a thread on the Linux Mint forums on how one of their members was able to get BI running on Linux. I would post a link to the thread, but not sure if cross posting is allowed here (please let me know if ok and I will post the link)

I am looking to "Jump Ship" on the Microsoft train at some point in the future as they make things more and more boxed in with that platform. I decided to try this out on a VM to see if it was viable to do and run reliably when that day comes. I have BI up and running and seems very stable although I have not added any cameras to it yet. I changed a couple of setting in BI for the web ui to work (login and port) but when I open the web ui in a browser I only see a blank white screen. BI does see that I am connected through the ui as I can see it in the logs and the browser tab shows the BI logo in the tab.

This was just a attempt to see if it works and if it would be a stable and viable solution running on Linux. would anyone out there have some knowlage as to what I may need to configure for the web ui to work? I'm sure there is some windows dll's or setting that is needed for it to work properly.
Please keep us updated!

I'm a Linux diehard (20+ years Linux only) and am looking into BI. Unfortunately, I see BI as too integrated with Windows to be reliable enough to trust with a VM or bare metal Linux box.

For the sake of stability, I'm planning on buying a dedicated box for BI running Windows. It will pain me but I think something as critical as VMS should be run on it's native platform.

dbrannon79

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I will need to revisit this soon. I have a PC that has reached it's end of life now that it can't keep up with BI running windows. the VM I was working with was running on a Dell R720 server with plenty of horse power. I stopped toying with it when I couldn't figure out how to get the web UI to show in a browser from another PC. maybe someone with more know how can try it out.

when I have a bit of time I will look for the forum thread I found and post some details on how it got it running. I know it's running in a wine environment. there might be some plug in or extra runtime add on that wine needs for the web UI to function properly.

Though I am not sure if the AI portion if BI would work. I did not get that far. it would be nice if the creator if BI could have a working version for Linux. There are lots of folks that would jump on that band wagon just to get away from the microsoft ecosystem alone!

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
The AI should work as it could be run natively in Linux. From my understanding, it's a server process accessed by a port. So I don't see why feeding info from BI to the AI wouldn't work.

Agreed re: Linux native BI

But I don't think we'll see it. Developers and most users seem happy with BI under Windows. Linux has other options like Frigate. Unfortunately, Frigate doesn't (last time I checked) have native PTZ support which many people require. It's support of Coral TPUs is very, very attractive though.

That being said, CodeProject AI now supports Coral in RPi and Docker versions. No support yet for Windows, I believe. But it's definitely there. Corals are much more cost effective in purchase and operation than GPUs.

dbrannon79

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I went back and found were I got the info to start. it's on the linux mint forums titled "Blue Iris Working both Wine and-or Virtual Manager"

there is also BI in a docker but I have not attempted it nor do I know how well it's maintained. that also might be work a try, at least in my situation with having a rack server running truenas scale for my media and what not.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
If you run win10 or 11 in a VM under linux, are there any activation issues? I know with win7 running in a VM, the license built into the computer doesn't work, so you have to find or buy a separate windows license for the VM.

dbrannon79

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you run win10 or 11 in a VM under linux, are there any activation issues? I know with win7 running in a VM, the license built into the computer doesn't work, so you have to find or buy a separate windows license for the VM.
I wouldn't think if you have the license key there wouldn't be too much difficulty with activation. But the issues are more than likely with digital licenses. the physical license keys can be purchased fairly cheap nowadays. you see lots refurbished PC's where they slap stickers with the keys on them when bought. I have heard those keys are about a dime a dozen.