BI saving to a Storage Spaces volume

jasauders

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi friends. I have BI rigged up to a 6TB Purple. All is well, no issues, etc. I was digging through some old towers I have (I have entirely too many old shells) and found a 4TB Purple in one of them. I think it was a longer term test I was doing of a different VMS system at one point.

I figured it might be advantageous to try and leverage the 6TB and the 4TB together. Better than sitting one on the shelf doing nothing. I didn't recall BI having any functionality built in to specifically list multiple drives it can save to (maybe this changed and I'm not seeing it?) That got me wondering... I've been using Storage Spaces (Win10 feature within Control Panel) for a few things around the house (I have a two way 20TB raw mirror set up on a Win10 box acting as my home server, a 6 drive no-resiliency volume on a test server, etc). That said, has anybody else has tried to leverage Storage Spaces, specifically with BI?

Thanks all!

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
NO
I do not like raids or raid type architures. The more moving part the more likely there will be a failure. Also on normail raids the recover is just not worth it.

If I were you I would use the two drives and put 40% and 60% of my cameras on the two drives. Assign cameras to different drive. So In the event of a drive failure you do not lose all your video. I do not like the New and Stored folder method for internal drives.

jasauders

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for your insight. The box itself actually dictated my options for me. I totally forgot that the BI rig I was using was an ultra small form factor. It has room for one 3.5 inch bay and that's it (the OS runs on a 2.5 inch SSD that I managed to find a spot for). Otherwise the box is grid locked.

From what I understand with storage spaces, if I were to set up two drives (assuming I had the space) with no resiliency, it would simply display one volume for both drives. If a drive would die, you only lose that drive -- the volume would still be available to the OS/BI/etc but the volume space would decrease to whatever size drive the surviving disk is. It's not like a RAID 0 where the entire volume is shot with one burp of a disk. I do agree it adds a cook in the kitchen but the theory of it sounded intriguing. But anyway, not going to find out either way after realizing/remembering I'm stuck to one drive period with this tower until I (maybe someday) upgrade it. ;)

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I used Storage Spaces once when it was new to make a parity array from 4 drives. A couple months later, it failed (the drives were still fine, it was STORAGE SPACES that failed) and I had to use specialized recovery software to get my data back.

Blue Iris supports multiple drives just fine. Just configure your New folder on one drive, and the Aux 1 folder on another drive, and assign some of the cameras to record to the Aux 1 folder (in the camera properties > record tab).

jasauders

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I used Storage Spaces once when it was new to make a parity array from 4 drives. A couple months later, it failed (the drives were still fine, it was STORAGE SPACES that failed) and I had to use specialized recovery software to get my data back.

Blue Iris supports multiple drives just fine. Just configure your New folder on one drive, and the Aux 1 folder on another drive, and assign some of the cameras to record to the Aux 1 folder (in the camera properties > record tab).
Ooof. How did you survive a parity setup with SS? I tested it out and the speeds were just like the internet said -- inexcusably slow. Mirror setups seem pretty solid though. How long ago was this? When I looked into using storage spaces (I now run it on my home server... we'll see if I regret this someday) it seemed like there was a point in time, judging by date/time stamps, where opinions of it started to increase in positivity. Here's to hoping the rough patch is over... otherwise I may be in for another home server rebuild someday. :p

I'll keep the fyi in mind about BI with multiple drives, but alas I realized after posting my tower is far too small. I'll cross that bridge if/when I upgrade the entire rig someday. Thanks for your 2c. :)

Mikk36

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You could also move data from new to storage, one sits on the 6 TB, the other on the 4 TB one. Newer items on drive 1, older on drive 2.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Moving files around is a waste of disk life and CPU. The only time to move from new to stored is if Stored is on a NAS or an external USB drive. Moving video files around in internal storage is just not a good idea.