BI Service Slow to Start

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced an issue where the BI service gets stuck in a starting/stopped loop for several minutes after a reboot, eventually correcting itself and working fine. Doesn't happen all the time, usually after an update is applied. Anyone have a clue as to what might need fixed to help it along, or maybe my windows 10 is just slow to get all the required stuff up and running for BI to function properly (I do have the service set to delayed start). Always gives me a little panic when it doesn't start up right away and I have flashbacks to having to reinstall everything over again :screwy:

Today's chain of events:
I was running 5.3.1.6 without issue. The iOS app kept prompting me to update my server and I figured I have the day to screw around with it if the latest update is broken so I took a shot and updated to 5.3.2.8. Upon restarting after the update, BI would not open the console and said to try again or reboot. Task manager showed the service stuck in a starting/stopped loop. Rebooted several times and still the same issue. Reverted back to 5.3.1.6 and it was no help. I was able to kill the service after several attempts to do so in the service manager. Then ran the update to 5.3.2.8 again. Rebooted and watched. Still stuck in a loop.

I went to ensuring I had backups from the BIUpdateHelper and realized I forgot to install it with my last clean install, so I took the time to do it (Thank you @bp2008 for this program!). By time I was done fiddling with that I noticed the service was running. I started up the BI console and all was fine. Makes me wonder if the BI service needs something else up and running before it starts, or if it doesn't properly shut down during updates and breaks something.

Not a huge deal since it resolves itself, just thought I'd see what people brainstorm.

Checking windows logs shows the below. It always says "has done this 1 time(s)" even though it does it over and over again.
Code:
Log Name:      System
Source:        Service Control Manager
Date:          9/18/2020 10:18:21
Event ID:      7031
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      BI-NVR
Description:
The Blue Iris Service service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).  The following corrective action will be taken in 1000 milliseconds: Restart the service.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Service Control Manager" Guid="{555908d1-a6d7-4695-8e1e-26931d2012f4}" EventSourceName="Service Control Manager" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="49152">7031</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2020-09-18T15:18:21.280549700Z" />
    <EventRecordID>2379</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="748" ThreadID="4916" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>BI-NVR</Computer>