BI Status Icon often red, cameras tab Clips, all white/black reversed, why?

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
In BI Status the icon is often red yet I don't spot anything much in the log. What I notice is in the Tab for cameras, the column of number of clips is reversed, white numbers black background?
I did a Reset about 2 hours ago, the clips are in single figures but white on black. Have I got some setting I need to change?

I've got Continuous recording, Storage where all go to New (8.8TB), no Stored, Alerts 40GB then Delete. I'm satisfied with Blue Iris but as ever I wonder if there's some setting I've chosen in BI that could be improved.
BI is on 5.7.9.12 here, I'm sticking with CodeProjectAI on 2.0.8.0 because an updated version didn't seem to work here.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Not sure exactly what you're trying to describe but sounds normal? The red dot at the top right of each camera frame in the console display means that it's currently recording. Same with the red frame in the clips list. With continuous recording you'll see it all the time. Same with the numbers in the camera list under Blue Iris Status. The black background with white numbers under the Clips heading means that the cam is currently recording.

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks folks for your interest.
I am referring to the Status icon on the top toolbar towards the left, it looks like a graph, normally it's grey on black here, when it turns red I assume there's something for me to see inside the window that opens.
In the Status/Cameras tab there is a column of mostly numbers, all are black numbers on white unless there's a detection in progress. The Ciips column though are always displayed white on black. Is this just normal?

In BI Help I haven't found a reference to the meaning of the Clips column in Status/Cameras searches.
I often use Status/Cameras to keep a check on my cameras FPS/Key, Bitrate etc.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, when that graph-like icon is red, then there's some error. Click on it. Click on the Log tab to the top-left of that window. That will display the log. If you want to see more detail, click on Open file at the bottom of that window and scroll to the bottom for the most recent events.

Yes, the white on black numbers under Clips is normal for cams that are recording. Click Help at the bottom of that screen and on page 114 of the help file (may change with version) you should see where it says:
Clips represents the number of files created. If this cell is black, the camera is actively recording.

scoob8000

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think when it turns red, a camera has had a loss of signal or the FPS has dropped below what you have set in the cameras settings.