Reaction score
All,

My system consists of:

6 2 MP Dahua HDW-5231R-ZE set at 15 FPS
8 MP IPC-HFW 1831C set at 10 FPS
Dell Precision 3420 Workstation Intel Quad Core i7-6700 8GB RAM 128GB
WD Purple 6 TB

Using the Hard Drive Calculator I have come up with following results:

1 x 8 mp X 10 FPS = 1 TB for 10 days (accurate result is 13.89 days)...1 day of Storage = 65 GB roughly.
6 x 2 mp x 15 FPS = 5 TB for 21 days (accurate result is 23.15 days)...1 day of Storage = 200 GB roughly.

My current settings are:
I have my "New" Folder on the WD drive set to 1 TB limit clips age to 1 day. Clips are moved to "Stored."
My "Stored" Folder is on the WD drive set to 4 TB limit clips age to 40 days. Clips are deleted.

My goal is (unless you have better recommendations) to have 1 day long clips saved for the maximum number of days. It is more important to me to save 2 MP Dahua feeds for the longest period of time.

Please let me know if the following settings would work to achieve this:
Looking at the 1 day of storage calculations it looks like I could set my "New" folder to 300 GB.
I would set my "Stored" folder to 5.2 TB

Let me know if this sounds like it would work. I am new to this and not quite sure I have the settings correct. Thanks is advance to any responses.

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Using the NEW folder everything is in one pot. Do your combined calculation for space.

1) do not use time for any storage, only space.
2) do not used the stored folder if it is on the same drive as the new folder, all you do is waste CPU.
3) set the new folder size to about 95% of your 6TB disk space.
4) set new folder to delete and not move.
5) look at the BI status (three bar button) clip storage, if there is any red you did not do it correctly.

That gives you the maximum amount of data storage time.

John75

n3wb
Reaction score
Does that mean the there will only be 7 files for 7 cameras each one as long as it can go? What would that do with the 8 MP camera vs the other cameras?

Thanks for your response.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No there will be 7 files to start for the 7 cameras. The storage of a camera is set on the camera record tab, the combine or cut video value. I recommended a value of 1 hour or 4 GB. I do not like really big files. I am assuming that you are using continuous recording.