BI Suddenly not recording continually

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The picture says it all; I just noticed that BI is no longer recording continually. I've got loads of little 2-3 minute 90MB clips with gaps between them.
1688177121585.png
1688177546862.png
1688177583719.png

Any ideas what's going on here?

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well, apparently rebuilding the DB and cleaning up some orphaned video files fixed the problem. :shrug:
This is why I have a Dahua NVR as a backup.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yup, orphaned video files are the cause. I complained to the developer about this issue 2 months ago when I found it had affected one of my systems. What BI version were you running?

Another symptom is you'll see a lot of "Clip: Disk full" in Blue Iris's log, and occasionally a "Move:" or "Delete:" line logged showing a small amount of data being moved or deleted (depends on your storage configuration) and on the same log line typically it will say you have a very small amount of free space (e.g. "20K free"). What this boils down to is that Blue Iris sometimes forgets it owns some of the video files, so it does not consider them to be part of its allocated space anymore and it will not automatically delete them. Eventually enough of these orphaned video files accumulate that they use all or nearly all of your unallocated free space, and there is no longer enough space on the disk to sustain continuous recording between automatic maintenance cycles. Because things are so out of whack, the automatic maintenance deletes too few clips so the disk fills up again before the next maintenance cycle.

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yup, orphaned video files are the cause. I complained to the developer about this issue 2 months ago when I found it had affected one of my systems. What BI version were you running?

Another symptom is you'll see a lot of "Clip: Disk full" in Blue Iris's log, and occasionally a "Move:" or "Delete:" line logged showing a small amount of data being moved or deleted (depends on your storage configuration) and on the same log line typically it will say you have a very small amount of free space (e.g. "20K free"). What this boils down to is that Blue Iris sometimes forgets it owns some of the video files, so it does not consider them to be part of its allocated space anymore and it will not automatically delete them. Eventually enough of these orphaned video files accumulate that they use all or nearly all of your unallocated free space, and there is no longer enough space on the disk to sustain continuous recording between automatic maintenance cycles. Because things are so out of whack, the automatic maintenance deletes too few clips so the disk fills up again before the next maintenance cycle.
I was seeing these errors in my logs. I definitely had the clip disk full error as well. I didn't realize I had the "stored" storage set up to the same as the new clips, so the entire setup was technically double allocated even though I don't ever use the "stored" clips. I changed that so that it added up as well.

I'm glad to know there is a root cause though. I hate it when something magically works for no apparent reason! :)