BI Support - Unexpected Closures

CMaki

n3wb
Reaction score
Anyone know if BI support is on vacation or something? My BI refuses to run, it just suffers an "unexpected closure" if it runs about 10 seconds. No errors in the logs other than that notification, and I did nothing to the software after which it just refused to run. Worked fine in the AM refused to work in the PM (nor ever since) I emailed the support a few days ago (along with my logs) and have heard nothing. I paid for the upgrade/support plan back this April so was expecting something. Any thoughts?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I assume you've checked your spam folder for a reply. But here's the thing. With so little to go on, they will essentially just be walking you through the "Troubleshooting and FAQ" section of the help file. So you might as well start there. BlueIris.pdf in the Blue Iris 5 folder is the help file. Troubleshooting and FAQ is the very bottom-most section. Among the things it gives instructions for is checking for logs in Windows Event Viewer (which the help file explains how to copy and paste the info to a support email).

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
BI is also essentially one person, so a couple days is normal.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The help file also describes where to find Blue Iris's settings in the windows registry. If you export that path to a .reg file, that will serve as a backup which you can restore later if necessary by simply double-clicking the .reg file and allowing it to import.

Then within the registry editor, you can do a lot of things to narrow down the cause of the crash:

• Try disabling service mode (described in the first page of the Troubleshooting and FAQ section)
  • delete individual cameras to see if one of them is causing a problem (or you can change the "enabled" value to 0 for each camera, but that takes more clicking around)
  • turn off hardware acceleration (if you have it on) to see if that is responsible. The global hardware acceleration setting is in the "Options" key, and it is named "hwaccel". Set its value to 0 to disable hardware acceleration. If you enabled hardware acceleration on individual cameras, I'm not 100% sure which setting it is.
  • or even delete everything under the "Blue Iris" registry key and begin reconfiguring from scratch. I recommend you leave the "Registration" section intact so you don't need to reactivate Blue Iris. I know it sucks ass to start over like this, but realistically it may be one of the only ways to figure out what is causing the problem.

CMaki

n3wb
Reaction score
The help file also describes where to find Blue Iris's settings in the windows registry. If you export that path to a .reg file, that will serve as a backup which you can restore later if necessary by simply double-clicking the .reg file and allowing it to import.

Then within the registry editor, you can do a lot of things to narrow down the cause of the crash:

• Try disabling service mode (described in the first page of the Troubleshooting and FAQ section)
  • delete individual cameras to see if one of them is causing a problem (or you can change the "enabled" value to 0 for each camera, but that takes more clicking around)
  • turn off hardware acceleration (if you have it on) to see if that is responsible. The global hardware acceleration setting is in the "Options" key, and it is named "hwaccel". Set its value to 0 to disable hardware acceleration. If you enabled hardware acceleration on individual cameras, I'm not 100% sure which setting it is.
  • or even delete everything under the "Blue Iris" registry key and begin reconfiguring from scratch. I recommend you leave the "Registration" section intact so you don't need to reactivate Blue Iris. I know it sucks ass to start over like this, but realistically it may be one of the only ways to figure out what is causing the problem.
Thanks. I had tried most of what you suggested (and that in the FAQ) to no avail.
My BI is not running as a service.
I renamed the Registry for the cameras to CamerasX and it still crashed.
I have no hardware acceleration active.
I have not tried to delete the entire Registry as it was a pain in the butt to get it how it is. (I made a copy - but too afraid of screwing it all up. ) :)

The windows Event viewer shows error 0xc0000005 - which is an "access violation" - I had previously tried running as administrator to no avail. System File Checker found errors that windows said it couldn't fix, but the log file is nonsense to me.

I have been using the software since 2015, with little trouble - but it just decided to up and quit on me.

Hoping that Ken can lend some help.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The windows Event viewer shows error 0xc0000005 - which is an "access violation"
Unfortunately that is what pretty much all error events say (when Blue Iris crashes). Only Ken can make more sense of them using the faulting module name and fault offset. And it is unclear how much use the information is. Blue Iris is really quite terrible at crash logging.

I have not tried to delete the entire Registry as it was a pain in the butt to get it how it is. (I made a copy - but too afraid of screwing it all up. ) :)
It should be safe as long as you have a .reg backup of anything you delete. Best to rename your database folder and perhaps your new/stored/alerts/etc folders too though so that BI doesn't overwrite anything while you're experimenting. It would be very useful information if BI still crashes with a clean registry, or if you can identify which feature or combination of features causes the crash.