BI & Synology & Mac

PetSue

n3wb
Reaction score
First up let me apologise if this has been asked, has been spoken about or is written somewhere but alas am struggling to find an answer.

I know BI runs on PC only but we are an Apple only household but I also have a Synology NAS but not very impressed with the Synology App so looking at BI.

My question is am I unable to use it at all due to not having a PC or is there any way I can use it on the Synology and be able to access it via my iMac?

Would a Raspberry PI help me at all? Just thinking aloud here as most definitely not getting a PC.

Thank you and again apologies, hope I haven't ruffled too many feathers :)

PS - Can I run it on VM that runs on my iMac?

Last edited:

hikky_b

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You can try try running it on a VM but I wouldn't be optimistic about performance, the same applies to the Synology. If you're serious about using cameras as part of your home security, BI needs to be on its own dedicated pc.

I'm assuming your security system is not Apple branded? ;)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, I'd recommend you consider a Blue Iris/computer combo as an NVR. Keep in mind an NVR is simply a stripped down computer after all...

You don't need to buy components and build one, or buy a new computer either.

Many of us buy refurbished computers that are business class computers that have come off lease. The one I bought I kid you not I could not tell that it was a refurbished unit - not a speck of dust or dents or scratches on it. It appeared to me like everything was replaced and I would assume just the motherboard with the intel processor is what was from the original unit. I went with the lowest end processor on the WIKI list as it was the cheapest and it runs my system fine. Could probably get going for $200 or so. A real NVR will cost more than that.

A member here just last month found a refurbished 4th generation for less than $150USD that came with Win10 PRO, 16GB RAM, and a 1TB drive. Blue Iris has a demo, so try it out on an existing computer and see if you like it.

PetSue

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks guys still not really wanting to get into Windows at all but I guess if I want to try BI then I don't have much choice.

Appreciate the help thank you very much :)