BI system with i7-7700 CPU + a discrete grahpic card

wepee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am building a system with a 7th Gen Intel CPU.
I am just wondering do I really need a discrete graphic card on the system?
Can do it without the card?

Let's say I leave out the graphic card...........and use only the the build-in Intel GPU.........
1) Will the system have enough resource when I am doing playback in BI?
2) Will the playback of BVR raw footage be smooth (no lagging problem)?

Let's say I include the graphic card......
1) Instead of using the recommended Nvidia card, any issue of using AMD Radeon cards?

Thank you in advance.:)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Depends a lot on how many cameras and how many total MP/s you are planning to have in your system. However, your starting point should just be the Intel CPU and built-in graphics. If you are struggling with CPU (don't know how many cameras you got so..) then you could move to Blue Iris substreams, or more powerful Intel CPU with built-in graphics.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How many cameras, resolution, laptop or not, etc. all come into play. But in all likelihood if you use the substream option in Blue Iris you will be fine regardless without an additional graphics card.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have an older i7-4790 CPU. I use the Intel Quicksync for the BI processing. The mother board does not have a DVI or HDMI interface, So i use a cheap graphics card (VisionTek Radeon 5450 2GB ) for HDMI. If i did not need the HDMI i would not have the graphics card.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wepee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Depends a lot on how many cameras and how many total MP/s you are planning to have in your system. However, your starting point should just be the Intel CPU and built-in graphics. If you are struggling with CPU (don't know how many cameras you got so..) then you could move to Blue Iris substreams, or more powerful Intel CPU with built-in graphics.
Most likely, I will be buying a couple of 4K Dahua cameras in the future, when the price is cheaper.
But planing to buy 1 coming soon. But I cannot tell the exact number of cameras at this stage,
whether it going to be 2MP, 4MP or 5MP......

In terms of total MP/S, does it really has any effect on having a discrete card?

Yes, I will be using Sub Stream for live viewing on my system.

wepee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have an older i7-4790 CPU. I use the Intel Quicksync for the BI processing. The mother board does not have a DVI or HDMI interface, So i use a cheap graphics card (VisionTek Radeon 5450 2GB ) for HDMI. If i did not need the HDMI i would not have the graphics card.
Ok thanks for your input, then I can conclude that I don't really need to have
a Nvidia card, I can fall back to recycle my old silent AMD Radeon card if it deems necessary :)

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
In terms of total MP/S, does it really has any effect on having a discrete card?
es, I will be using Sub Stream for live viewing on my system.
Blue Iris v5 substreams has dramatically lowered the hardware requirements when running multiple and high-MP systems. I would recommend against a discrete graphics card until you find yourself running into problems then return here for guidance.
Unless you can't get the resolution & refresh rate you need or VRAM is a problem, or like @SouthernYankee you need a different graphics output (even then you can often adapt one to another) you shouldn't need a discrete GPU.

Adding an unnecessary GPU just adds to your power usage, driving up the cost to operate the system 24x7.

wepee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Blue Iris v5 substreams has dramatically lowered the hardware requirements when running multiple and high-MP systems. I would recommend against a discrete graphics card until you find yourself running into problems then return here for guidance.
Unless you can't get the resolution & refresh rate you need or VRAM is a problem, or like @SouthernYankee you need a different graphics output (even then you can often adapt one to another) you shouldn't need a discrete GPU.

Adding an unnecessary GPU just adds to your power usage, driving up the cost to operate the system 24x7.
@crw030 Ok thanks :)
I will build the system without the discrete card.