Bi triggering question

BillRitz

n3wb
Reaction score
I have 15 cameras so though I have an I7 running at 3.6, CPU usage is not my friend so I'm looking for ways to improve. My Sony 3MP cameras have software with them where I can and have set up motion detection areas in the camera, so putting that work in the camera instead of on BI sounds smart to me. Right now on each camera's Trigger tab I have motion sensor checked, and it seems to be working. My questions are (1) is the motion sensing work being done now in the cameras or in BI by the CPU, and (2) what does the third checkbox on the tab labeled "Camera's digital input of motion alarm" cause to happen? I don't see a clear explanation of it in the documentation. Any ideas in utilizing the cameras' smarts to maximize triggering efficiency will be appreciated.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If you're running BI version 5.2.3.11 or later, I forget how far back this goes, you should look at substreams from those cameras and utilize them. I have an i7-6700K running with 14 cameras, a mix of 2 and 4MP, and the BI rarely hits 10% utilization of the CPU even during the day with lots of motion. At night it's down under 5%. That is using the motion detection in BI. When you switch to substreams you will need to reconfigure the motion detection in BI because BI also uses the substreams for motion detection, the resolution change means the "blocks" of each zone change in size. BI also uses the substreams for the console display until you "full screen" a camera and the main stream, full resolution, is used then. It also records both streams now, I believe.

Using the camera motion detection will take some of the load off, but not a lot. Substreams will take the most load off so it's worth the effort to configure.

BillRitz

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the quick reply. BI is less than a year old, so I'm still getting upgrades and have the latest version downloaded. I had seen substreams when I first set up BI, but I couldn't find the string that it needed for my Sony cameras. I'll do some further research. It just seemed to me that firmware in the camera would be much more precise at detecting movement, but the BI software has more flexibility.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Once again, the savings in terms of processor in BI using camera motion detection versus BI motion detection is minimal at best. The really big saving is in substreams. I wish I had the sting for Sony, but I haven' got a clue with Sony cameras. If you could post the main stream string it might help a little. Believe me, I went from almost 30% to under 10% using substreams.

BillRitz

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't have the main stream string; after trying all of the Sony cameras listed in Blue Iris with no success, I loaded them all as ONVIF. The software they came with (NVMS-1000) lets me see 3 streams per camera, and even edit them; I can change the resolution and FPS of the streams, VBR or CBR, and the bit rate. It lets me pick one for local record and one for server record, probable equivalent to recording vs local use in Blue Iris, but it doesn't tell me how to access the three streams so I can feed that to Blue Iris. Maybe someone using Sony cameras with Blue Iris will see this and chip in.

Sony POE cameras I'm using are:
9432E (8 of them)
IP-5IRD3002-W (3 of them)
IP-IR3E42-3.6 (2 of them)
TD-9432T (2 of them)

BillRitz

n3wb
Reaction score
This turned out to be much easier than I thought. Hitting the Configure button on the Video tab, below where the camera selection says the make is "Generic/ONVIF" and the model is "*RTSP H.264/H.265/MJPG/MPEG4" the Main Stream says "/profile1" I thought: this couldn't be that easy, after I've spent hours on the internet searching for URLs for generic cameras made my TVT, could it? So I copied it down to the Sub stream box and made it "/profile3" and reset the camera, and after 15-20 seconds, it came up! The ONVIF standard must be just that. When I right click on the camera, I get the stats in the attached files. Are these close to what you get? Stream 3 is set to 704 X 480, but I can go one higher with Stream 2 which is 1280 X 720. What's your sub stream resolution and frame rate, since you're running as many cameras as I am and having no problems? I've only done 2 cameras just now, but if it works for all of them, I should have titled this "Sub stream for ONVIF cameras" so others can find it.

Attachments

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I never specify a camera type and let BI set them up for the best choice using "Find and Inspect".

I keep mine a low as they will go, typically 352x288 and set the bit rate to 256 for 2MP cameras and 512 for 4MP cameras with VBR. I also have the frame rate at 10FPS and the iframe at 10. The video isn't "production quality" smooth but this is for surveillance not a made for TV movie. According to Ken, the BI developer, the frame and iframe rates should be the same for both the main and sub streams.