BI Upgrade and migrate to new PC

Saxet

n3wb
Reaction score
I have Windows 8.1 and BI 4 on my current BI rig and have just built a new PC with Windows 10 where I want to upgrade to BI 5 and keep my current camera config/settings if possible, but I'm not concerned with preserving existing recorded video.

My question is, do I upgrade to BI 5 on my old PC and then transfer the license/config to the new one, or should I install BI 4 on the new rig, move license/config/etc to the new PC and then upgrade to BI 5? I guess I'm asking, what is the better upgrade/transfer route?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have Windows 8.1 and BI 4 on my current BI rig and have just built a new PC with Windows 10 where I want to upgrade to BI 5 and keep my current camera config/settings if possible, but I'm not concerned with preserving existing recorded video.

My question is, do I upgrade to BI 5 on my old PC and then transfer the license/config to the new one, or should I install BI 4 on the new rig, move license/config/etc to the new PC and then upgrade to BI 5? I guess I'm asking, what is the better upgrade/transfer route?
Do the upgrade on the old machine then deactivate. This way the new clean machine starts with a fresh install of blue Iris.

Saxet

n3wb
Reaction score
I could envision some pro/con either way, but I'll take your advice and upgrade my old rig, then transfer to my new rig. I do appreciate your input, and any other thoughts you might have. Thanks for your help!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I could envision some pro/con either way, but I'll take your advice and upgrade my old rig, then transfer to my new rig. I do appreciate your input, and any other thoughts you might have. Thanks for your help!
There is no con doing it this way. Only pro.