BI via tailscale with weird network setup

Scott35

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi - I was hoping to be able to setup BI to be accessed via tailscale (seems to be a much better and more secure option), however I cannot get it to work and am wondering if it is because of my weird network setup - hoping someone might have an answer or point me in the right direction.

I have a TP-Link PX50 mesh network , the PX50 is in "router" mode and so on the internal side serves dhcp on a network 192.168.168.0/24 (for example) then this connects to my ISP provided router on 192.168.1.0/24 (for example), my camera's and and BI machine sit on reserved addresses in the internal network.

Do I still need to setup port forwarding ? - I would not have thought so seeing as I am effectively within the tailscale network , or something in my ISP router ?, bit confused as to where to go next, so any constructive help appreciated.

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
TS does not require port forwarding.
Have you installed it on your BI PC and is it recognized when you login to the Admin console on Tailscale(dot)com?

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
What routes between the 2 networks?

As suggested do the required to set up tailscale and see what happens. I use TS and it is just about the easiest thing to setup and get working.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Tailscale should be creating a virtual network adapter on your BI PC. If you look at the status of that network adapter, you can see what IP is assigned to your BI PC, and connect to that from your other tailscale clients. If it doesn't work then either you haven't set up tailscale properly, or Windows Firewall could be blocking the traffic.