BI Video freezing

Bentley

Banned
Reaction score
I've been having trouble with my video freezing for 3 or 4 seconds at a time and being choppy. There is a major pause before video appears on the screen. Ive been following the suggestions from other posts but can't seem to get the video back where it was before the update. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Please share:

1. Your Blue Iris version.
2. What camera(s) it occurs with. Do you also have cameras where this does not occur?
3. Your blueiris.exe CPU usage and memory usage/free memory.

Bentley

Banned
Reaction score
i have the very lastest upgrade, cpu usage 18%, Hikvision 3mp cube, ds-2cd24332f-iw and 2mp bullet, ds-2cd2020-i. Most of the problem is with the cube. Lots of free memory. I changed the settings in the cameras to 6fps, medium quality and that improved the video remarkably. I set the cube and bullet to 1920x1080. My computer is also not that powerful i3-2100 and dont want to purchase another. i want to buy a few more cameras but dont want more expensive mp cameras if lower mp is all I can use. one if i can only do 1080. Thanks

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
That CPU is fairly low speed but it will be fine as long as you don't let the CPU usage reach 100%.

Is the cube connected to WiFi? If so, that is likely the problem and you can maybe make it work better by reducing the bit rate setting. If it is definitely not streaming video over WiFi then I recommend you play around with the iframe interval setting. Set it equal to the frame rate and see if that helps.

Also, if the Blue Iris machine is connected to WiFi then that is an even bigger mistake. The BI machine definitely needs to be wired.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
@Bentley have you had the cube hooked up wirelessly in the past? I found on my cube that there were two different IP addresses that were causing issues with the camera, one for when connected via Wifi and one when hard wired. I removed the wifi settings since mine is hard wired and it fixed all the issues.

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
That is definitely right Mike. My cube (DS-2CD2432-IW) is connected to both WiFi and wired LAN and each interface has a different IP address. It would be easy to get them mixed up and accidentally connect through WiFi if not careful!

Just a hunch, try unchecking "Use RTSP/stream timecode" in Blue Iris > Camera Properties > Video tab > Network IP Configure. This was recently added and may be causing trouble.

Bentley

Banned
Reaction score
the cube has never been set to wifi only wired. I changed the iframe interval setting to 6 which matches the 6fps. it was set at 50 i didn't see much of a change if any.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
That is a nice comparison, lol. Were you able to change the frame rate and see an improvement?

Bentley

Banned
Reaction score
I set it to match the fps rate made them equal. I don't think theres much of difference when only moving a frames at a time. At least my eye can't pick it up. There's a very very small delay when viewing the motion but the image is now stable. Everything is working to my liking and I'm not going to change the settings. Going to give it some time and see what happens over a few days.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Just a nod on that comparison video. I remember seeing one like that when I made my shift to the 3MP Hikvision cameras. I had everything set to 30FPS and was killing my CPU. Someone suggested 15FPS. I though, "No way, I paid a premium for the high-res high-FPS capability, I don't want to have sluggish video." Then I saw this type of comparison video. Every single camera is now 15FPS. It sounds drastic, until you see how negligible the quality loss really is. Thanks for posting that. I'm hoping I can remember where to find it if I ever need to demonstrate this to another thick-skulled person like myself.